Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhlcal_gw

Sort of deformed leafs on yardlong beans and bitter melon

DHLCAL
9 years ago

I planted some yardlong bean and bitter melon seeds about a month ago, the beans in the ground and the bitter melon initially in a 3 inch plastic container and then transplanted into bigger fabric pots (15 gallon) filled with a version of the 5-1-1 mix (I used fir bark, commercial potting mix plus peat moss, and pumice).

They are growing but one of the bitter melon plants (out of 2) and some of the bean seedlings have kind of deformed leafs.

Specifically, one bitter melon plant has a bunch of leafs seemingly growing all from the same point and the leafs get a bit rugose looking. The other one is looking normal and like prior plants I have grown.

The yardlong beans have normal first set of leafs, but the later new leafs are lighter colored and misshapen.

I wonder what they could be. Herbicide damage? I haven't used any this year but have used purchased composted manure (chicken, steer, and horse) and free mulch offered by the city which are composted yard waste.

The other plants in my yard, even those near by, have not shown the same signs. These include tomatoes, cucumbers, and snow pea.

I am attaching photos below. The first is the deformed bitter melon plant.

I am in the Los Angeles area.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus