Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big weed?

Posted by Hman714 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 2:04

I've been picking at these seedlings off and on for over a year. Maybe it's time to find out what they actually are. = )

It grows everywhere around my house, got into my vegetable beds too (which I don't know how). The starter leaves are huge, which makes me think it could be a tree -- or a big bush at least. It grows really quickly, but I haven't found the courage to let it grow.

Could anyone tell me what this could be? A family member told me it could be Castor Bean -- but how? I don't know.

I live in So Cal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big weed?

It certainly resembles a castor bean seedling, but then again this being the vegetable forum it also really looks like an okra seedling. Castor beans are poisonous if you didn't know. If you let the plant get bigger it would be easier to identify. Also there is a forum on here called Name that Plant! full of people who love to identify stuff like this.

o

Looks like castor to me too.

o

Take it to your local agricultural extension office. They will be able to tell you what it is. My local office lets me email photos to them. See if yours will. Good luck!

o

I feel like the cotyledons don't look like Castor to me. Some sort of hibiscus? Be curious to know if you ever do find out. Cheers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here