Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dimitrig_gw

Telegraph Improved Cucumbers

dimitrig
9 years ago

I really love the English cucumbers I buy at the grocery store. I have no idea what variety they are. After asking around at more than a few nurseries here in Southern California I finally found seeds for the variety "Telegraph Improved." I am not sure how this compares to the store-bought cukes, but it is the only English cucumber I could find.

Okay, so I planted the seeds and I have a bunch of seedlings with 3 and 4 leaves now. I was researching on the Internet and a lot of references said to remove male flowers when they develop. Other references said NOT to do this if grown outdoors (which I am doing). Needless to say, I am very confused.

I am not that close to having flowers just yet but I would like to know what to do when I do.

Comments (8)

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

I haven't heard of pinching off cucumber flowers before. Cucumbers, much like humans, require two to "tango" and set fruit, otherwise, they're just playing with themselves. In my experience that neither baby, nor cucumber, makes.

Sometimes it's helpful to light candles and put on some Marvin Gaye, but don't stand around and watch, cucumbers aren't like that.

All in all, I say: leave the flowers.

Edit to add:

I've looked some more into this, and apparently there are cucumbers bred specifically for hothouse production that you do get rid of the male flowers or they become bitter. (Sounds a little like marriage).

My guess:Since "telegraph improved" is often and commonly marketed towards home gardeners (most of whom do not grow cucumbers in green houses) I still suggest leaving the flowers, or, wait until someone who has experience with this variety to say otherwise.

This post was edited by ZachS on Sat, May 17, 14 at 9:30

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I had suspicions that Telegraph Improved might be parthenocarpic (meaning it doesn't need pollinated to set fruit), which is the reason you read to remove male blossoms. However, after looking it up I'm finding differing info as to whether it is parthenocarpic or not. Some sources say it is, others say no. If it is, removing the male blossoms would keep the fruit seedless. If it's not, removing the male blossoms will result in no fruit. I'd leave the male blossoms just in case.

Rodney

• dimitrig
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I read on the package of seeds that Telegraph Improved is monoecious, which I think means it CANNOT be parthenocarpic. Therefore, I am going to take the advice given here and leave the male flowers on despite what some sources say.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I planted Telegraph last year. I liked it. I think it needs pollinators. I did a lot of hand pollinating: Not enough bees were around.

• dimitrig
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. What is the fruit like?

I have no shortage of bees as I have a hive in a cavity in my old sycamore trees. In fact, some years I have TOO MANY bees if you know what I mean (they swarm 2-3x).

• dimitrig
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally have fruit. Have yet to taste one so I can't comment on that or if it is full of seeds. Give me a week for my first harvest.

However, the fruit does not look like what I would call an English cucumber or what the store would sell me as an English cucumber. It looks more like a pickle with bumps and spines on it instead of the smooth ribbed cucumbers I would call "English cucumbers."

What is the variety that is grown and sold at stores?

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

The ones sold in grocery stores are commercail green house cucumbers and they are semi parthenocarpic.They develop seeds if pollinated. some varieties are Kalunga', 'Bellissma', 'Millagon', 'Discover', 'Marianna', 'Fitness', 'Aramon', 'Fidelio', 90-0048', 'E1828', 'Futurea',Bella and 'B-1157'. All were developed in Europe and probably descended from the Telegraph.

Here is a link that might be useful: English cucumber

• pennypond USDA 10 Sunset 21 CA
    9 years ago

Hi Dimitrig,

I found the following description from Johnny's website, which specifies a variety shrink-wrapped in plastic. It seems matching what you had in mind. Here is the link. I grew something like it one year and really liked it. But the seedling came from a nursery.

Dutch cucumbers such as Tyria are 14"-long, thin, spineless cucumbers usually grown in a greenhouse. Their thin skins contribute to their excellent eating quality, but cause them to dehydrate quickly. They are often found in supermarkets shrink-wrapped in plastic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shrink-wrapped in plastic

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting