Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertiliser burn?

Posted by jesshorn France (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 3:51

Hi, About a week ago and a half ago I planted lots of new plants into my prepared vegetable plots. This is the second year I have used this space and have rotivated all of the crops etc.
Many of the new plants now have an appearance of the leaves having been burnt and I have already lost one squash and the aubergines are looking decidedly sad.
The only thing I have done different this year is that when planting I put some organic fertiliser granules in under the plants. Could this be fertiliser burn? If so should I move the plants? It seems to be happening to lots of the plants.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks, Jess x

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertiliser burn?

No, it is more likely sun burn. The same thing is happening to my plants, a couple of my tomatoes and peppers, they grow out of it.

Were they under weaker light before transplanting?

o

Describe the burn.

Fertilizer burn is going to usually just look like the tips of the leaves are dying (turning brown and crispy). Sunburn is going to look like the leaves are turning white but otherwise fine.

o

Yes they look like they are turning white. I brought them at a local nursery and didn't know i should harden them off first. It was pretty hot when I first put them out. It has cooled down now so hopefully they will recover? Should I remove burnt leaves? Thanks for your replies.

o

Do sunburnt plants usually come up burnt straight away or is it sometimes a delayed reaction?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here