Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kale - What's my next move?

Posted by serge94501 Sunset 17 Alameda, (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 3:59

This Kale is 1.5-2 years old. The leaves don't seem to be as nice as they were earlier. Should I:

1. Remove all plants, start afresh?

2. Cut back all plants to a few inches and see what happens?

3. ???

As it is, it's making tortoise food and that's about it.

Thanks!
Serge

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kale - What's my next move?

Pull it. Most people only grow kale for one season. You could get some more pickings off those plants but there will be diminishing returns. Better to stick them on the compost heap, dig over the soil, add amendments and grow something else there. (Not another Brassica). Put the next lot of kale elsewhere. I don't know when you'd need to sow it in your climate. Here I sow in early June and plant out in July to overwinter.

o
RE: Kale - What's my next move?

Thank you for some clear and concise advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here