Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

My pretty garden (pictures)

rosemaryt
12 years ago

I love looking at other people's photos, so I thought I'd post some of my own here. And this is my first post - here. I used to post at The Kitchen Table.

Three years ago, I started trying to grow veggies. Good thing I'm not depending on this to live!

This year, I think it's finally coming together, but only because I've got a lot of money, time and energy invested in my gardens. I was thinking about writing a blog entitled, "My $1,200 tomato," which would be accurate.

Last year, we had good success except the birds and squirrels and racoons got EVERYTHING. That's the reason for the caged garden.

Here are some photos of my pretty garden. :)

{{gwi:48445}}

{{gwi:48446}}

About a month ago, I planted 124 begonias in my raised flower bed. All the beds are raised because we have massive old oak trees (100 years old) that has soaked every nutrient from the soil. Our soil is dead.

{{gwi:48447}}

{{gwi:48448}}

And my rain barrels. I love, love, LOVE my rain barrels. I've got a few neighbors who covet my rain barrels. :) They are a great source of good water.

{{gwi:48449}}

Rosemary

Here is a link that might be useful: How I built my rain barrels

Comments (10)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Love that fenced in garden! I have plain deer fencing around my 3x8' raised bed. Thanks for the photos!

• lnewport
    12 years ago

Love the fenced in Garden. I don't have that problem thankfully but that's a very pretty solution. LOL I hope you eat a lot of tomatoes :)

• thisisme
    12 years ago

Very pretty Rosemary. My wife would love your yard. I keep telling her that if she wants flowers she's welcome to come out and help me any time she wants.lol My vegetable garden is green, healthy and very productive. But my backyard also has scrap wood scattered in a few places and a few half finished projects I need to get to. In other words, not so pretty.

Locally I'm seeing more and more fenced in and shade covered gardens. Rabbits and Roof Rats and birds are the biggest problems here. Birds just love our figs and blueberries. Each year I get a little closer to building cages for them.

I'm guessing from the size of your tomato supports they are all Determinate's. There should be a label attached to each when they are sold that says. "Not recommended for Indeterminate Varieties."

• nygardener
    12 years ago

Rosemary, that's a beautiful setup. (I hear you about the $1,200 tomato!)

Is that a curry leaf tree next to your rain barrels?

• mlpgarden
    12 years ago

"Pretty" is an understatement. Your garden is looking BEAUTIFUL. Keep up the good work!

• thorntonrose_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. I would have been back here sooner but I lost the link!

That is *not* a curry leaf tree next to the rain barrels. It's just an old mimosa tree (I think).

My rain barrels ran dry about three days ago and then we had a short rain and put a little water back in them. That's the down side of rain barrels. One good drought and you're in trouble.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Rose

• sckitchen_gardener_8
    12 years ago

Beautiful

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

I hear you on the $1200 tomato! My Dad and his friends once went on a salmon fishing trip. They caught one salmon between them all and estimated it to be a sixty-odd dollar per pound fish for all it cost them to go.

• reneeb48
    9 years ago

I enjoy your screened in garden. My husband is looking to re-do ours for next year. I would like to use your picture in my blog as a perfect example of what we would like to use. I would like to ask permission to use your picture. I will lead people to your website if they are interested in doing the same thing.

If you have any tips and pointers to give my husband on how you did it please share.

Thanks in advance.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Dang! I regret giving away my old round redwood hot tub now that we're in an epic drought!
    3 little 50 gal drums wouldn't last me a month!
    Here in sunny No CA, we usually don't get rain from April til October!
    I'm lucky enough to have a nice deep well!
    I think I'll be looking for some large containers in case this drought keeps going! Nancy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting