Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botanicat

Eggplant in Containers?

botanicat
12 years ago

Can eggplants be grown in containers? And if so, how large should the container be? Also, do you need to grow a low of eggplants to get good pollination or can you grow just 1 or 2 plants? Thanks for your help.

Comments (11)

• bomber095
    12 years ago

Absolutely they can! I've been growing eggplants in 5-gallon paint buckets for years. The plants are self-pollinating, and if all goes well, you should expect 4-6 fruit per plant, maybe more.

The thing to remember about eggplants is that they love the heat. The more you can give them, the better.

• botanicat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, bomber. Here in Georgia finding heat is no problem.

• aaaaaaaa
    12 years ago

In fact, for me it does lot better in containers than in ground.

• opal52
    12 years ago

Eggplants do very well in containers. I use self watering containers. Have grown in past seasons Black Beauty, Rosa Bianca, and this year I'm trying Early Long Purple Eggplant. These have just started growing quickly now that the weather is getting in the upper 80's. Rosa Bianca Eggplant did almost too good. With just two plants, we were over-run with eggplants. And they kept producing throughout the season. You shouldn't have any trouble growing Eggplants in containers in Georgia. Just have to keep them watered, which is why we use the home made version of Earth Boxes.

• sjkly
    12 years ago

I'm growing them in containers 2.5 gallon buckets, and some of the varieties are quite prolific-my largest Ichiban already has 4 developing with more flowers that haven't opened yet.

• Donna
    12 years ago

I, too, think they do better in containers than in the ground. With containers, you can change out the soil each year and beat the blasted flea beetles. In addition to plenty of sun and blazing heat, they like steady moisture and regular liquid fertilizer. For my family of three adults, one plant of Pung Tung Long produces way more than we can eat fresh. (Pung Tung is a truly delicious variety that makes long skinny purple fruits.)

• botanicat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I suppose Miracle Gro is an okay potting mix to use in pots for this. I have nice plants of Ping Tung and from a pack of mixed eggplants (Millionaire Hybrid, Snowy Hybrid, Rosa Bianca, and Applegreen) that I grew from seeds. I have one in a container and a few others in the garden. If all goes well I should have PLENTY of eggplants for the neighborhood! Now what do I do with all the other ones I don't have space for.....? I had no idea that they would germinate so well.

• opal52
    12 years ago

It seems I always end up with more plants than I have space for because I start seeds for more than I will need thinking I will lose many of them. I have found an easy solution is to put the extra plants at street side out front of our house with a sign "Free Plants". I always clearly label the plants. They are gone within an hour, and sometimes less.

• Donna
    12 years ago

Some friends of mine and I organized a plant giveaway last month. (We were all at a point that we needed to use seed or lose it.) We timed it so that the weather was ideal for planting out. We gave away 300 tomato, pepper and eggplants in less than two hours. The wonderful thing was the senior citizens, especially widows. We had a hand-out with detailed info on planting tomatoes in pots. I am getting weekly updates from them and it makes me smile really big! My point is, if you have a church, club, or even a neighborhood, I bet you'll find lots of happy recipients.

• gardenman101
    12 years ago

thanks for the info, i will be putting my eggplant in buckest and free up bed space.

• umayamla
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip about growing them in containers. Last year all my Eggplants failed because they got ravaged by flea beetles and were stunted. I was going to attempt to grow them again in my garden but I think I will just put them in pots and grow them on my balcony. I have some big pots that they should be happy in.