Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alifair_gw

Gardening in a Community Garden

Alifair
10 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I've been gardening in containers for the past few years, but this year I decided to take the plunge and rent a plot in a community garden. Has anyone here had any experience with such a thing?

I'm pretty excited, but I'm pretty nervous about things like theft, and pests that I don't have to deal with on my patio.

Any advice or disaster stories? Planting begins on Memorial Day!

Comments (16)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Read the rules carefully to determine what is and isn't allowed in the way of chemicals, etc. This is your only way to get an idea what may have been used there the previous years.

Don't piss off the neighbors in the nearby plots. Then they'll help protect your territory. Especially keep your weeds under control and your plants from encroaching.

I once tried to grow watermelons in a community plot just a few lots away from the Jr Hi school. Bad idea.

• gdnh
    10 years ago

I have not had that great an experience in a community plot. I think there are more bugs than in a home plot cos people bring veg seedlings from a variety of garden centers stores or grown at home, some have unwanted "hitchhikers". If you do not want stuff stolen by human pests grow non exciting type stuff like cabbage carrots onions etc, worst for disapearing due to theft is tomatoes and peppers.

• galiana
    10 years ago

I tried to sign up for a community garden this year, and lasted about two weeks. Most of the members are elderly, and they regard it as their personal clubhouse. Outsiders, for them, are a necessary evil.

I made the mistake of doing something they didn't like (scraping the 1/4 inch layer of slime mold off the top of my garden bed, which had been overfertilized and waterlogged by the person who used it last year) and was kicked out as one of the old biddies regarded that as "wasting soil" even though I refilled the box with my own compost and amendments at my own expense, and used the slime-mold filled soil to extend their annuals garden at the request of the very person who kicked me out!

So I lost the time and money I spent on digging over and preparing that bed. Whoever uses it will probably have a very good gardening year, so good for them, but I left with a very sour taste in my mouth.

It seems like some community gardens are run for the benefit of the older or more senior members by bringing other people from the public in to pay the senior members' bills. I think that's pretty crappy. Hope you don't get a set of gardening neighbors like the ones I (briefly) had this year!

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

I have been a part of two community gardens in my area including one that is new this year. So far both have been positive experiences. Both provide free compost and mulch. One had communal tools, which was great. They are both in areas where you'd have to intentionally be going to the garden in order to get to them so theft has not been an issue.
    I agree about reading the rules carefully. I think that is the area where the most conflict arose--people not following the rules and upsetting their neighbor gardeners.

There were a lot of insects especially squash bugs. Really could not grow any squash type plsnts in the one garden. I think it is partially because there are always plots that get planted and then ignored. These plots end up with stressed plants vulnerable to insects. The insect population then explodes, kills off the neglected plants and then go out to attack other vegetation. Of course, sometimes even a well tended plot gets an insect infestation without this happening (don't necessarily immediately blame someone else if you do get a lot of bugs). :)

Both gardens have options for donating excess food to food pantries. If you have extra produce, I'd look into that.

Most people I have met at the gardens have been friendly and willing to share information.

Good luck!

• jimster
    10 years ago

I have enjoyed gardening in a community garden for quite a few years. It has many advantages over the small garden I used to have in my back yard. The entire garden gets tilled each spring. It has pretty good soil and excellent sun. Water is provided.

The biggest benefit to me is the friendship of the other gardeners. Whenever I go there, there is usually someone to talk with, share ideas, compare crops, share a few vegetables and help each other in one way or another. If I am away for a few days, it is easy to find someone who will see that my plot is watered when necessary.

Thievery by two legged or four legged critters has, surprisingly, been a very minor problem.

There are compromises which must be made, of course. Not everyone has the same preferences and it is not always possible to accommodate every gardening method at once. We have to be understanding about this.

I've enjoyed the social aspect of the community garden more that anything else. I've made a lot of friends there.

Jim

• Alifair
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I went and scoped it out today, and it looks like people are already planting... and losing some stuff to frost, too. I sure am excited to plant my babies into the ground, so I can't blame them for trying to get a jump on it!

The mix of people seemed to range all over- they even have half-sized children's plots. We're also tucked in behind a cemetery and not visible from the road, so hopefully that will cut down on theft.

It looks like my plot is immediately next to another person's plot, so I should probably give them at least a foot of space on my end that's not worked... Does that sound right? There are no rules in the handout about that, and I want to follow proper etiquette...

How often did you guys end up visiting your plots?

• jonfrum
    10 years ago

My town's community gardens are beside the branch library. There's a greenhouse on the property that you can also rent space in. Every year, some plots aren't kept up, and tomatoes rot on the vine. So there can't be much stealing of crops - there's free stuff going begging. I'm on the waiting list, which will probably take at least a few years to work down. Unless you live withing waling distance, I'd stick to no-fuss crops that's don't need constant care. Driving back and forth multiple times each week will make for very expensive beets.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I really like the idea of being able to rent space in a greenhouse.

That would make it worth signing up for a plot.

• jimster
    10 years ago

"...I should probably give them at least a foot of space on my end that's not worked."

Yes. That's what we do.

"How often did you guys end up visiting your plots?"

It's almost every day for me. Not that it's necessary, I just enjoy being there and it's not far. There are always some tasks that can be done and, as I said before, there is the social benefit.

Jim

• amy_of_pnw
    10 years ago

I have had a community garden plot for the last few years and it has been great. The parks department runs them around the city and the department provides compost, water, mulch and other things that make the experience even more pleasurable.

It really is a community and every year the population changes some. We chat and share and we plant one community plot together for donations to needy people. There is an expectation that our gardens will be tended and that we will donate time to the garden in general.

We have had a few problems with theft but nothing major. We have tried to befriend the neighbors and come up with positive ways to make them feel welcome to look without helping themselves.

I stop by the garden every day or two depending on the need. Sometimes it's just me that needs to see what's happening for the day, sometimes the plants need a little extra depending on the weather, sometimes it's all that yummy food calling me.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Can anyone tell me the average size of a community garden plot? And do they normally have a specific 'planting day'. Are the plots not available to work on year round?

• jimster
    10 years ago

Our plots are 20 x 20 feet. A few are shared by two gardeners.

The entire garden is tilled in late April or early May. The members then stake out the plots and they are ready to plant. Because of the tilling, certain crops which must stay in the ground past the tilling date can't be grown.

Some of the surplus is given to a food pantry.

Jim

• potterhead2
    10 years ago

I've been in the same community garden for about 7 years.
    Our plots are 20 x 25 feet for $20. Water and compost are included.

We have the same system as Jim, the garden is tilled in late April or early May, plots are staked out and then gardening can begin. There is no set date to start planting, as soon as the plots are staked out you can begin.

We also have the garden tilled in late October or early November, so whatever you still have growing at that time will be lost.

Theft has been very minimal.

I second that the pests are worse than in a home garden. I grow all my squash/cukes under row cover for the first month or so to protect them from cucumber beetles and squash bugs. I also cover my eggplants which get decimated by flea beetles. I use cheap tulle from the fabric store as row covers held up with wire hoops.

It would be easier garden at home, but we live in the woods, so there is not enough sun for most vegetables. Besides, the social aspects make up for the difficulties. Gardeners are generally very nice people. I made friends with all the gardeners in my section.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Thanks jimster and potterhead. That seems quite different from my allotment in several ways. Firstly, ours are not tilled for us (although I think some councils do it once when you first take over the plot.)You are responsible for digging the plot yourself. But it is yours as long as you keep it cultivated and pay the rent so you can grow fruit and perennials. Also, in our climate there will be crops in the ground all year round so tilling the whole thing up would destroy them. Most allotment sites allow sheds.

The plots are permanent with grass paths between which we are responsible for cutting. There are water taps. Again this may be different in other areas. In the autumn the local council dumps leaves at the site which we can help ourselves to. My plot is a half of one the original plots. It is about 500 sq feet. The rent is about ã35 per year ($53). There are concessions for pensioners, unemployed and those on benefits. I have had it for 20 odd years but only ever had one spade stolen. People are generally friendly and ready to share information, plants, harvests and equipment.

• springtogarden
    10 years ago

@Amy_of_PNW I love the idea of donating one plot to the local food bank and everyone takes turns taking care of it. I think I will use that as a suggesting. Much better than the way it was done at ours. Always something new to learn :). Thanks for sharing!

• Alifair
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A quick update on my experience, for those who might be googling and are unsure about starting a plot...

In general, I don't think this has been a good year for gardening in the midwest. Lots of rain early on! My summer squash are doing well, as are my tomatillos, but other than that everything is quite slow. I've gotten a few cucumbers and peppers, and my corn seems to be doing well.

I think my tomatoes have blight, and I've noticed tons and tons of cucumber beetles. One of our plot neighbors says that in the evenings, the deer come out of the surrounding woods, wait until there aren't any more people left, and then just swarm! They have definitely gotten the best of my broccoli. There are quite a few plots that have been given up on, so there are lots of weeds everywhere.

BUT, even though it's been more difficult than just gardening in containers on my porch, I do think I've learned a lot. I started out trying to do it with minimal fertilizers and insecticides, but learned quickly that it's worth a few bucks to invest in that stuff. I think I'll try to figure out a good mulch to use a bit earlier next year. I might also go for two plots instead of just one (20x20), as I think the rewards might be a bit greater with more plants and more space per plant.

My favorite thing is to walk around and check out everyone else's gardens and see what is working for them! It also helps me not to get too frustrated, as it seems that no one is having a good tomato year.