Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to store asparagus roots?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 8:26

Hi all,
I know I took a short-cut here, but at the time, it was my only choice. I thought we were going to plant asparagus this past weekend, but didn't get to it. The short-cut was that I bought pre-packaged asparagus roots in a plastic bag from a nursery. If I can't plant them in the immediate few days, how should I best store them? Should I open the bag up and wrap them in wet paper towels and keep them in the fridge? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to store asparagus roots?

sure that sounds like you have it figured out, you could also just bury them in the bag(perforated) 6-8 inches deep if you are short of fridge space.

o

catherinet,

What you proposed would be just fine. If you're not waiting to plant more than, say, a week, you could just refrigerate them as they are. In any event, just prior to planting (while you're preparing the trench perhaps), soak the crowns in a bucket of luke-warm water for about 1/2 hour. They'll be good to go.

Hal

o

Thanks the farmguy and Hal!

o

Catherine, I have a few gus crowns that have been in the veg bin of my fridge since early April. (long story) No paper towels, just a preforated bag. I just checked and they look great. In fact, they have little green sprouts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here