Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

High Tunnel Garden Pictures, Pic Heavy

Here are some pictures of my garden in the high tunnels. Everything outside is coming up, but not fun to look at. Yes, the squash looks like it has Powdery Mildew, but it is the variety, Caveli. The leaves are molted with light green. I have been kinda concerned about it. However I found another person online with pictures and they look just like theirs. The tomatoes are Tomatoberry and Cherokee Purple. The cucumbers are Vertina, if I remember correctly.

Enjoy!

{{gwi:48989}}

{{gwi:43895}}

{{gwi:48990}}

{{gwi:48991}}

{{gwi:48992}}

{{gwi:48993}}

{{gwi:48994}}

{{gwi:48995}}

Comments (14)

• bomber095
    14 years ago

I've seen that variety of squash before. In fact, thats what the zucchini I get at the nursery usually ends up being. The first time I saw the silvery variegation in the leaves, I thought powdery mildew as well.

Pics look great!

• anney
    14 years ago

jrslick

Those are VERY healthy-looking beautiful plants!

If everything's enclosed, how'd that fat toad get in there and what's its cuisine like? And do you have to hand-pollinate that zucchini?

You may have explained your system before, but if so I missed it, so a couple of questions. What do you use to make the tunnels? Is it fabric or plastic? Does it stay in place all season, or do you eventually remove it -- I see your plants are set in the soil.

• gardener_sandy
    14 years ago

Wow! That's a nice setup you have. And it really seems to be working well in your cold zone. Do you heat it? You're getting veggies earlier than we will here in zone 7 with traditional outdoor plantings. I'm jealous! LOL

Sandy

• glib
    14 years ago

wonderful job, JR.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bomber- Thanks for saying you thought it was powdery mildew also. Now I don't feel so bad.

Anney- The sides are pulled up 4 feet to allow for ventilation. There are also doors on the end that open up. Currently only the north end and east side are open. The wind has been blowing for the last 3 days at 15-30 mph with the temp outside being 80-85. The temp inside isn't much warmer with all the ventilation.

The toad can hop in and out of the building. I am not sure what he eats, all I know is I have several more like him in there too. The tunnels are plastic high tunnels. It will stay in place all season. The zucchini does not need to be pollinated. There are two parthenocopic varieties, Perfect Pick and Caveli. They are almost seedless. This is my first year for them.

Gardener Sandy- I have not used any heat for these building, I lied I had one small heater over night when it got down to 18-20 degrees outside. I use row covers. The tomatoes were planted out on March 28th and the squash was planted around April 10th.

Check out the thread at the bottom to explain how I built my buildings.

Always happy to answer questions.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Discuss thread about my High Tunnels

• mauirose
    14 years ago

WOW, great project Jay! i enjoyed reading the discussion thread also.

What are your plans for the ginormous harvest coming up?

Original Author
    14 years ago

Mauirose: Enormous harvest, that is what my wife says too. I will have my helpers helping too. My four girls, 7, 5, 3 and 3 months.

I sell produce at 3 Farmers Markets. We will eat what we can, can/freeze som e and sell the rest.

Jay

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Jay did you leave you plastic on all summer. How did the tunnel do in the hot weather and did you have to shade it? I have a million questions, but I know this is an old thread.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Soonergrandmom: I did leave the plastic on all summer. It has been such a strange summer. It was hotter in June than it was in July. July was cool, and August was Hot, first part that is. Now it is in the 80's and 55 for lows. Who knows! With the sides pulled up, doors open and corner vents taken out, it stayed comfortable.

Despite all the storms, wind, rain and hail we have had, I am looking forward to a busy fall harvest season. The tomatoes are still loaded and I am picking 125-150 pounds about twice a week. They have slowed down, but that is good because our markets have slowed down too! I hope they pick back up!

Just an FYI, the squash, cucumbers and pickling cucumbers are all dead and gone. Between the bugs and just longevity of the plants, I let them go and ripped them out. I am planting greens and broccoli in their place.

Harvest has been great. 2500+ pounds of tomatoes, almost 300 pounds of cherry tomatoes! 300 pounds of pickling cucumbers and I don't know how many pounds of squash.

Ask all your questions, I will try to answer them.

Jay

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

jrslick, I asked on the market forum , but I know your busy. What are you going to do in your hoop for fall/ winter. My tomatoes were a bust due to lack of rain and cool temps. Ones in the hoop only did a bit better than ones in field. But this was my first year and a late start and I wil get a much better start next year. Am getting ready to plan my winter crops, Elliot Coleman style. I think I'm going to put greens, peas, carrots, all the usuals. How about you?

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Jay, Thanks so much for your answer. After I asked the question, I did a search on your name and looked at your success. You did a fantastic job. I remember when you had just built your first high tunnels, but for some reason, I stopped reading this forum.

I have had a high tunnel in the past but not in the location where I am now. I really want to build another one. I will use it only for home garden use tho and not for market. The one I had before was only 10x13 but I was able to grow a lot of things in it, but it needed to be bigger. I now live in the NE corner of Oklahoma, and I believe I could greatly benefit from one. It's going on my wish list. (She says laughingly because will build most of herself.)

My biggest concern has been summer heat. I believe I can control winter OK because I will mostly grow cool crops and salad greens. I planted greens in containers but in the open last year and kept them going until mid December. I threw a blanket over them a few nights. I think with a high tunnel and a few row covers, I could get several things through the winter months. I love the experiment as much as the fresh food. LOL

Thanks so much for your answer, and I have enjoyed seeing your success. I wish my tomato plants would look like that. Carol

• raisemybeds
    14 years ago

So very jealous, that's what I am. Beautiful setup you have. Bravo!

• bruce2288
    14 years ago

That is a great setup and plants look great. I don't quite see how the side wall go up are the hinged or is the plastic seperate and the entire side wall remove? I am thinking of trying selling in farmer market next year. I am in central nebraska, so similar type folks I would guess. What sells well? What is not worth growing for market? Advice on types of tomatoes the customers want? Do you sell most of what you take? Enough for now, thanks. bruce.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Attention everyone: I want am going to start an new topic later this fall (don't know when). It is going to be very pic heavy. I am building a third high tunnel and I am going to document it very well. I twill be in the 18 by 45 range. I am going to lay out expenses, measurements, and add some new features to it. I am going to build it this fall, probably won't put the plastic on, but I will have it if I change my mind. This way the building will be up and when spring rolls around, I will pull the plastic over and we will start growing.

The funny thing is I was scared to ask my wife if I could. I was expecting the "Hell No" answer and she said, I was kinda hoping you would? Hmmm, maybe 2 more, lets not push our luck!
    Bruce: Where at in Nebraska are you? Things that sell best are the old staples, red tomatoes, potatoes, onions, cucumbers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and green beans. Every location is different.

Thanks for all the comments about my buildings, they have taken a beating this year. To be real honest, I am surprised they are still standing! 70 mph wind, enough to topple power poles, the discount store in town had a greenhouse to sell plants in. They are directly south of my house 3 miles, that greenhouse was destroyed by wind this spring. The metal frame was twisted and smashed. Mine were slightly damaged. Hail, rain, snow what ever it was they just bent with the wind, and popped right back!

I wish I had the $$$ to build a big fancy metal frame one, by after this year, for $500, how could you go wrong with a building like this. I already have the posts purchased, we are getting the plastic next week. (Trip to Kansas City for my girls doctors appointment, saves alot on shipping!)

If you are interested, stay tuned!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022