Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardened enough?

Posted by njitgrad NE NJ (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 8:35

Since May 1st I have been hardening my seedlings off, using a pretty erratic schedule because of my changing daily schedule and the stretch of sunny dry weather we had last week. For the most part I was keeping them in the shade longer and longer each day, occasionally giving them direct sunlight for an hour after 7pm.

On day 9 I left them on my patio table under the umbrella all day long. They received direct morning sunlight until noon and then where sheltered from direct sunlight by the umbrella after that point. I even left them out intentionally over night. I brought them in last night and am keeping them inside because of the threat of heavy t-storms today.

My tomatoes, cukes, peppers, and eggplants look very healthy but my basil seems to be getting a little questionable. Perhaps because they're not as mature as the rest of my seedlings.

Anyway...so I'm thinking since Sunday is supposed to be mostly sunny and since I am planning on planting everything in the ground Tues or Wed, would it be a good idea to leave them in my garden (where they will eventually be planted) for the entire day? It will be day 12.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardened enough?

I would do half day in full sun...then see how they do. Basil is extremely tender so check it often.

o
RE: hardened enough?

"For the most part I was keeping them in the shade longer and longer each day, occasionally giving them direct sunlight for an hour after 7pm."

I'm confused by your schedule. Why would you give them more time in the shade each day, as opposed to more time in the sun? I can see starting them off in moderate shade, then moving them to light shade, then dappled sun, then full sun, over the course of several days, but how will limiting their sun to only a few hours on Day 9 get them ready for full sun in the garden by Day 12? Are you planning to continue to shade them for part of the day for the first week they are in the garden, providing less and less until they are in full sun all day?

For the basil, I'd continue to harden them off and not plant them yet. If they can't take a few hours of morning sun, they certainly won't be able to handle full afternoon sun in the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here