Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Melon spacing?

Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 8:41

I've read some wildly different spacings on melons and I'd like to get some of your opinions.

I have an area that is 20' X 50' that is currently covered in black plastic, so how many melons can I fit in that space? Or better yet, how far apart should I place the plants?

I have both muskmelons and watermelows and was thinking of alternating them....one large watermelon next one small muskmelon, etc. Does that seem like a good plan or should I plant all the watermelons together?

Also, how far from the edge of the plastic should I plant the melons in order to try to keep the plant on the plastic and not wandering off into other parts of the garden?

Thanks!!
Bart

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Melon spacing?

No trellising? 3-5' square each then assuming you need to have some access to the bed. ;) Closer together can increase numbers of fruit but reduced size. Larger spacing increases fruit size. Rather than alternating I would suggest a half and half bed with each variety grouped on it's own half.

Dave

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 08 at 10:24

I'd keep the loupes and watermelons in separate plots.
One of my melon plots is equal to your 20'x50' plot and I just planted 15 watermelon plants within that area (3 rows @ 20' long, 5 plants each). This has served me well in the past though it's a tight squeeze when thumping and picking by August. Right now I have bush beans around the outer perimeter of this plot which will be harvested and yanked out by the time the melon vines over take them. Early Broccoli also works well in this manner to use space that will be open later on for the melons to spread out.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 08 at 11:21

bart1

How do you pin down your black plastic? Soil, pins, other weights?

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 08 at 12:41

anney -
I used some old boards from a collapsed deck, big rocks (my garden has tons) and unused fire wood. I bring that stuff in by the wheelbarrow load and spread it around the edges.

I'm in a pretty windy area and this works well.

Bart

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 08 at 13:12

B1

Thanks. I'm thinking of using rocks or pieces of lumber we have waiting for the fireplace next fall.

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 08 at 13:53

Thanks to all for the spacing advice.

Dave - I don't do trellising (yet!). I can only visit my garden on the weekends so I barely have time to plant let alone build a trellis and train the plants.

Is there a "proper way" to navigate the melon patch come harvest time? Everytime I go out there to check on ripeness I feel like a bull in a china shop trampling vines.

Thanks again,
Bart

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here