Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simplyoranges

Is this baby watermelon ruined?

simplyoranges
11 years ago

I'm not exactly sure what happened to this baby watermelon, but it has a little black spot on it. I think its from when it was leaning up against my wood trellis. It doesn't take up the whole watermelon, just one spot on it. Is it bad enough to ruin it, or should i just let it keep growing?

{{gwi:49116}}

Comments (12)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Hard to say, but overall, my gut instinct is yes, that will probably do it in. You will know shortly. If it does abort, I'm sure new ones will form promptly.

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

Yes, remove it more will come.

• simplyoranges
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I have a case of bacterial fruit blotch. I have noticed these spots occurring on other melons and I have seen a few stink bugs on the plant. Is there anything I can do about this or are my melon plants ruined?

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

I hope not, bacterial fruit blotch is seed transmitted, new and relatively rare. Best prevention is treated seed. One major reason to avoid trading as most commercial vendors will take steps to avoid contamination

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacterial fruit Blotch

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

Quoting from farmerdill's article:

Initial symptoms on commercially grown greenhouse seedlings included water-soaked and necrotic cotyledon lesions and necrotic spots with or without chlorotic halos on true leaves. The most striking symptom, however, was a large water-soaked blotch on the upper surface on maturing fruit in the field.

Forgive my ignorance here: would this baby watermelon qualify as "maturing fruit"? (Yes, it's growing, but I'd like it to get a lot larger before I'd say "maturing." But I'm not an expert on gardening terms.)

Also, do any of the spots on the various melons have a "water-soaked" appearance?

• simplyoranges
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, maybe its not that then, because these are ferry-morse seeds. What else could be causing these black spots? Could it be ants or stink bugs? I have quite a bit of ants, but they don't really seem to do anything and I haven't seen aphids. As for the stink bugs, I've only seen about 6 or so on my plants within the last 7-10 days (and only one at a time/never a bunch). The only other bugs I can think of that I see are grasshoppers, but I rarely see them make there way into my plants.

• simplyoranges
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Also, do any of the spots on the various melons have a "water-soaked" appearance?"

They look wet and greasy. I have pulled a couple melons that had this. I cut the first one open and the inside looked fine.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

There is sure nothing in your pic that would justify such a fear and as already mentioned, it is new and very rare. The odds certainly do not favor it in this case not to mention your melons are far too young to diagnose it anyway.

Most of the time spots are just spots and can be caused by any one of 100 things. Control your squash bugs and just keep an eye on the plants.

New gardeners have a normal tendency to way over-react to simple common gardening issues and take drastic steps as a result. In fact most of them nothing more that environmental issues that are beyond our control and resolve themselves with time and are NOT some terminal disease.

Why not relax a bit and try to enjoy the process of gardening more. Just let your melons do their thing and the odds are everything will be fine.

Dave

• simplyoranges
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha. Okay. But was I at least right to pick those two, or should I just let be the ones like this in the future? I have a watermelon on a separate plant that is doing pretty well. Its about the size of a baseball now and looks pretty healthy. The stink bugs don't seem to be too overwhelming. I rarely see them, but when I do they are a pain in the but to remove. I think if I start seeing bigger populations of them I will bust out the shop vac. Haha. Another culprit I have noticed is this old turtle who loves to find his way into my backyard. He chomped up two vines on one of my cantaloupe plants. If he continues to be a problem, I will relocate him to a park down the street. Thanks for the responses guys.

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

The one in your photo looks like physical damage. A baby melon that is scratch and bruised will look like this. As the melon matures the bruise or scratch will usually developed a rotten spot. This is why I recommend removing damaged melons.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I agree. I've never grown watermelons but it just looks like physical damage - you get the same on other cucurbits. I think your first guess that it is from rubbing on the trellis was right.

• maverick10
    9 years ago

Hi im having a similar problem,please check the pic below and let me know what is causing it and any remedy if possible?

Here is a link that might be useful: sugar baby watermelon photo