Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rabbits and beans - only young plants?

Posted by jane99 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 8:56

Do you think the rabbits mainly like the young plants? I want to put some fence up only until the plants get a foot tall maybe. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rabbits and beans - only young plants?

Sadly, no. I have had rabbits eat the base of several 6 ft vines before, it is very frustrating. But they do seem to concentrate their growsing to lower don on the plants. Cheers!

o

They mostly browse my bush beans when they are seedlings. It caused me to start my whole bean crop in the greenhouse for a few years. After they started to bush a little,then I'd plant them. That's when the deer took over. LOL

o

Rabbits eat matured bean plants too.Two years ago the rabbit was able to pass through my chain linked fence in my garden.He was able to eat about 80% 0f my beans before I discover it so I let him eat everything .Last year he was not able to pass through the fence because he gain weight. LOL

o

Yep, rabbits eat just about any and all vegetable plants, young and old. My garden is fenced in, but those buggers just pace around the outside, waiting for me to maybe slip up and leave the door open. They are window shopping for something they'll never get, unless of course a wayward leaf pokes out of the fence, where it is promptly eaten.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here