Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltilton_gw

Cucumber beetles - this means war

ltilton
11 years ago

I lost last year's war, so it's a change of strategy. Which is to say, attacking the first generation that I've never managed to spot infiltrating the garden.

When the weather warms up this weekend, I'll put out the sticky trap with beetle lure. The trap cucumber plants are ready to go out. They'll be sprayed with a systemic insectide. And I've got a package of beetle-grub-eating nematodes ready to spray as soon as the soil heats up.

Comments (14)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

I use Bug-B-Gon Max from Ortho. I have given up on not spraying cucumbers and squash. I can not spray or do organic options, but after two years of losing everything, I gave up last year and started to spray for them. This stuff really works. It even works good on squash bugs. Spray around the base of the plant. Start early, and spray weekly (if needed). I already had to spray last week. If you get them early, you can stop spraying. That is what happened to me in July, no more squash bugs or cucumber beetles. Last year I had a 1/2 acre of winter squash that I used this on and I didn't have any problems.

Bifenthrin is the active ingredient. I used this for several weeks then did a application of Sevin liquid spray. As always, spray late in the evening to protect pollinators.

Jay

• ltilton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll spray before they flower, but the main attack never comes until July, when the flowering is well underway. And the flowers are their favorite things to eat.

I'm hoping this year not to have to spray at that time of year, by hitting them now.

• drscottr
    11 years ago

Might also consider using Diva cucumbers or some other parthenocopic variety and row covers. This will keep the beetles out and then you don't need sprays.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

drscott - that was the losing strategy last year. The enemy infiltrated the defensive perimeter, and Diva's resistance was particularly weak.

This year, I'm trying a parthenocopic variety called Little Leaf, supposed to have stronger resistance.

• t-bird
    11 years ago

i have diva and something jade this year - going to try to keep them in the enclosed mudroom. I think they'll get enough sun through the window, the real worry is getting to hot on the superhot days....

• murkey
    11 years ago

My cucumbers and squash were really doing great this year, until some of the leaves started drying up almost overnight, and I spotted beetles coming to the top when I watered them. I bought some organic insecticidal soap and gave them a good soaking this morning, only to discover after the fact that I had accidentally grabbed the bottle of Round-Up poison ivy killer instead, that dh uses on the fence line. Both bottles are white with yellow tops, and I did not have my reading glasses on. I have been spraying water on the plants for at least half an hour, but they probably won't make it. I feel just terrible!!!!!! I only hope it won't spread to the peppers and beans that are next to the sprayed plants. Will they be safe to eat if they survive, or are we going to get some king of Agent Orange disease?

• wolverine1012
    11 years ago

murkey, I do feel for you. I've taken shortcuts (like not putting my glasses on) before and regretted it later.

How soon after applying the Round-up did you water your plants? It appears that you have a 30 minute window after application that rain or watering will wash away the effectiveness of the chemical.

You should know in a day or two if your plants are going to make it. I'd keep up the watering just in case. The last thing they need now is to be stressed from the heat.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, they've shown up on schedule - or a little beforehand, but everything is early this year. Ignoring the beetle lure.

• ChicagoDeli37
    11 years ago

Please tell me they are not black Beatles with yellow spots?

• lizbeth_pa
    11 years ago

I have been using organic insecticidal soap sprays but don't know which is the best kind to use or most preferred to use by gardeners. I feel bad for you, murky! I hope they make a come back for you. I guess that's a good lesson on keeping your gardening sprays separated from other sprays especially if they look similar! Last yr I sprayed a mix of water and baking soda on some plants cuz I was told this is what to do re the mildew issue on plants. Well, my bad -- it killed my plants that I sprayed the stuff on. Whose brilliant idea was it to tell everyone to use baking soda on plants! Found out quickly it burns the plants! Stupid, stupid, stupid! Live & learn! lol!

• hcoon
    11 years ago

They are yellow and black. Some are yellow spotted with black and others yellow striped in black.

• murkey
    11 years ago

Looks like the cukes survived. I propped up the hose and doused them for an hour, but most of the squash look sick. I hope they are safe to eat! In this record-breaking heat it's hard enough to keep the garden alive, even if you don't try to murder it with Round-Up! The beetles I was going after on the plants were grayish and shaped somewhat like a shield or a coat of arms. DH called them stinkbugs. They were sucking the plants dry. Guess they weren't cucumber beetles (not yellow and black). Thanks for the replies, I was really in need of some sympathy.

• wolverine1012
    11 years ago

Murkey--what type of squash as you talking about? Summer or winter? If summer, you've still got time to replant if you do it right away. In either case, for safety, I think that I'd remove the fruits that are on the plant now. The new fruits shouldn't be affected because if the plant is growing it vertainly does nor contain the chemical.

You could always call Scotts, who makes Roundup, and ask them whether the fruit is safe to eat: 1-888-270-3714.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those were squash bugs. They will in fact suck your plants dry. Squish them on sight and keep a lookout for their bronze colored eggs - usually on the underside of the leaves.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012