Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spinach

Posted by swiss_apls_tx 8Tx (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 9:10

New to growing spinach what is this all about ? blooming? what does it mean in terms of harvesting leaves?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spinach

Bolting. It means the taste of the leaves will change and become bitter.

Time to pull it.

o

Thank you! Pull up the whole plant or just the top sprouting thing?

o

Pull the entire plant. Replant something else that will be able to withstand the upcoming summer heat.

Rodney

o

Thanks again for the information and advise. Any suggestions for a hot summer plantings?

o

Swiss chard will hold up to the heat a lot better than spinach and is a very close alternative in both taste and nutrition.

o

Yep, pull the plant and eat it. The flower stalk will likely be too bitter to eat.

If the leaves are bitter, braising them with a splash of white wine will cut the bitterness.

o

Thanks! You people are wonderful! HAPPY TRAILS to Y'all !

o

swiss_abls_tx, optimal timing for seeding spinach in my zone 9a louisiana is October/Novermber. Given that you are not too far from my zone, you may want to save your seeds and plant them in the Fall. Spinach will most likely do very well in your Fall garden. You should have no problem with bolting at this time.

o

swiss, you might want to get on your county extention's website to see if they have a good planting schedule for your area. Or there might be a Texas forum on these boards. Nancy

o

So Grandad, how do I save my seeds?

o

How to save seeds ? It is easy. Just leave a strong one which already has bolted (seen in picture) . Let it flower and mature. The stem will become hard and browned. The pull it , hang it upside down in a paper bag, in the shade, garage ..

o

Thanks! I'll try saving seeds.

o

You'll need at the very least two spinach plants to save seed since male and female flowers do not grow on the same spinach plant.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving Spinach Seed

o

swiss_alps_tx, I believe the above posters answered you question on saving spinach seeds. But just wanted to mention that there are some seeds I choose to not collect and save, spinach being one.. My problem is that I find I want to prepare and plant the garden area and prefer to not wait for a seed harvest. Instead, I purchase the spinach (and similar) Fall seeds on the Spring garden racks and then inventory them in a glass jar in the storage room (spare) refrigerator. They will be viable for several years. (Even if not refrigerated, they will easily be viable for a Fall planting.) Purchasing seeds in the Spring is somewhat important because many of the nearby stores begin sending their seeds back to the vendors during May. I do have a seed source alternative, but it requires a more distant drive to the garden/nursery center.

This post was edited by grandad on Sun, May 4, 14 at 12:46

o

Plant okra, eggplant, basil, amaranth, corn, melons, Armenian cucumbers and cow peas. That's my summer garden plus my "perennial" peppers which are in a partly shady spot.

o

I didn't know that seeds go back to the vendor. What do they do with the old seeds? Not sell later them as new, I hope.

o

swiss_alps_tx,
I am in the DFW metroplex, and have grown Spinach quite a bit the past few years. Yeah here in Texas, Spinach is pretty much a winter crop. I planted some of mine around late Sept, and some more in Nov, and January/Feb.
They are extremely cold hardy plants, and survived this cold winter without any problems. (but they dont grow a whole lot in Dec/Jan). We've enjoyed much fresh spinach this spring. But once temps hit the upper 70s they bolt. So mine have all bolted, and are forming seeds now. I let a few dry up and save the seeds They form along the stalks. The upper parts just produce the pollen, they are not the seed producing parts. Even if they have bolted and some of the nice thick lower leaves remain, I still pick and eat them. Very much still edible.

o

Deeby, the retailers send back the seeds so as to get credit (not be charged) for unsold seeds - or at least, that's what I was told. Not sure if all retailers do this but do know that the Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart stores in our area send them back. Last year Lowes did receive new seeds in the Fall for a fall planting. I hope they continue this practice.

I too had wondered what the seed vendors do with the returned seeds. I seem to recall finding a web site selling old seeds. So maybe there is a market/outlet for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here