Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn HELP!?!

Posted by wv2ga 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 9:16

This is my first time growing corn and my dog has taken a fancy to eating the top of some of the plants. They are only about two foot (give or take) tall.

Will keep the plants from actually producing corn? Anything anyone may know off to use as a deterrent to keep her away? I can put a small fencing around it to keep her out but it's not the best looking way.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn HELP!?!

fence. no tops no pollination.

o

Since they are only about 2 ft tall, having the tops chewed off should not matter. New leaves/growth will sprout from the top, and tassel will be produced when matured.

o

yes......easiest way may be to spray them with a deer repellent. It really stinks and I don't think your dog would find it palatible, and it may also keep other pests out of the bed.

o

Well, I'm not sure that dogs don't like deer repellant, especially the rotten egg kind, mine is rather fixated on it. Maybe she's wierd, though. But there's always chili oil of pepper flakes. Cheers!

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 6, 12 at 15:03

Dogs can be taught to not do things, stop it now or it could just get worse.

Corn two-feet high- you could be in a world of hurt at the very least the corn if it produces will way late.

How many stalks were damaged?
This is much like hail damage that can wipe out an entire corn field.

o

I would use some bitter apple or make a hot pepper spray.

o

Thanks for the advice. If I catch her she'll stop but I'm not around during the day. The bitter apple is a good idea.

First time trying corn, I put the seeds in around a week prior to Easter, so we'll see how it goes. A good number of them look like they've been chewed.

o

One of my dogs has a fatal attraction to plants, both houseplants and outdoor plants. I spray bitter apple on the ones he lusts after every 4 or 5 days and he leaves them alone =) And he knows 'leave it' but if I'm not around these plants are about as attractive to him as a steak left on the kitchen counter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here