Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckyz4

Best use of compost

buckyz4
11 years ago

I have a relatively large garden (30X200)

On the contrary I have a small compost pile (4X4X4)

Needless to say, I do not have enough compost to go around.I grow most vegetables from Asparagus to Zucchini.

I try to put a layer of fresh grass clippings on top of newspaper between all of the rows throughout the year if possible.

This year I am planning on focusing the compost on my new asparagus patch (20 crowns.) I have also been putting the rabbit manure from my 2 rabbits on the new asparagus. I will probably do that until the corn is a couple inches high and then switch over and put the manure on the corn. The last couple years I have put annual ryegrass in the fall over about 1/4 of the garden.

This year I plan on putting buckwheat by all my vine crops (melons, squash, pumpkins, gourds etc.)

Last Winter I focused the rabbit manure on the raspberries and my existing 30 crown asparagus patch.

Any thoughts on if my thought process is correct, most places say to start with a couple inches of compost and my question is if someone had to prioritize, what crops would be your highest priority?

Thanks

Bucky

Comments (3)