Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I do with this corn?

Posted by SneakyP 7B (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 9:37

I have never grown corn before and don't know what to do. A lot of my corn plants are growing a side stalk off of them. What do I do, should I let them grow or do I cut them off?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I do with this corn?

Leave them
They are reffered to as suckers. The recommendation use to be to remove them, but now the thought process is it is not worth the time and the plant may actually benifit from them
Bucky

o

Yeah, way I see it they're just that much more photosynthesis surfaces to feed the plant with.

o

Thanx for the replies, I was leaning towards leaving the as I wanted to see what would happen.

o

Some varieties produce more suckers than others. Looks like you have wide enough spacing to accomodate them.

You'll see tassels any day, sign to fertilize. Since I use a granular organic fertilizer that releases slowly, I pretty much topdress my sweet corn continuously from midseason on.

o

They just got to knee high the other day and i dug a trench about 6" out and side dressed them with a 10-10-10 fertilizer. If thats wrong what should I be using?

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 2, 12 at 13:44

Ten-ten-ten is neither correct or incorrect but corn like Nitrogen so something high in Nitrogen works very well including straight Nitrogen lawn fertilizer.

Just do not go over-board.

o

For reference in case you don't have it memorized, the X-X-X numbers on fertilizer indicate which nutrients it has and essentially the ratio between them (its actually parts per total weight, but close enough for government work).

The first number is the Nitrogen, second number is Phosphorous, third number is Potassium (NPK).

Like RpR said, corn likes lots of Nitrogen, so you'd ideally want fertilizer with the first number being the highest.

What you used is fine. Probably don't want to go buy anything else to put in on top of it though, as you can over-fertilize.

o

Side shoots are pretty much only found on older corn varieties and on sweet corn these days. Commercial field corn and most commercial sweet corn is bred to produce a single stalk most of the time.

As stated above, tests have proven that the suckers produce nutrients that feed the plant and can increase ear size and sweetness. This effect is unimportant if the corn has plenty of rainfall, but if there is a drought, having suckers can mean the difference between a good crop and a poor crop.

DarJones

o

My thinking is that in normal corn stands, suckers are ok. In more dense stands, removing them will give more light to the legit stalks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here