Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2010 Summer Squash Trials

Posted by deanriowa 4b (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 9:52

I was planning on doing summer squash trials this summer to find a couple good varieties, and then a seed company asked me to do some summer squash trials for them as well. It appears I will have 18 different varieties and will be growing out 2+ plants of each. I had wished that the squash they sent would not included so many Hybrids, as I have been trying to go 100% heirloom and these are the only hybrids I am growing this season. It should be fun!

Seed Company Varieities:
Cavili(F1)
Greyzinni(F1)
Kveta
Mutabile
Sunny SuperSett(F1)
Y Star(F1)
Yugoslavian Finger Fruit

My Varieties
Bianco di Palermo
Cocozelle(Zuc) - Cucurbita pepo
Costata Romanesca
Early Yellow Straightneck
Golden Zucchini
Round de Nice
Sakiz
Striata de Italia
Tatume
White Bush Lebanese
White Bush Scallops

I will be the most hated man in town if they see me coming with a grocery sack. :)

I guess I need to review all possible recipes for them. Looks like grilled, fried, baked, stuffed, and pickled all summer and I did find an English recipe involving hollowing out larger squash and making Marrow wine/rum.

Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2010 Summer Squash Trials

• Posted by shebear z8 NCentralTex (My Page) on
    Fri, May 28, 10 at 10:05

You can come to my town anytime. I have two big freezers and 3 hungry people and lots of friends.

Is Sunny SuperSett a yellow crooknet or a yellow zucchini?

o
RE: 2010 Summer Squash Trials

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 28, 10 at 10:55

Dean

I hope you're prepared for the onslaught of squash pests! If you plant them, they will come....

I planted only two squash this year, a Caserta hybrid zucchini, and a patty-pan hybrid.

Caserta Squash, close

Pretty impressive, I think! The big one's the Caserta, while the patty pan is small and to the left of it. I wasn't terribly smart about where I put the Caserta (right next to the patty pan), but I suppose I'll know better next year.

I went out this morning and picked nine 6-7 inch Casertas, some of which I think had not pollinated well, and I saw one cuke beetle and one squash bug on the plant. I planted the patty pan a month after the Caserta, since I plan to use the Caserta zucchini as a trap crop for cuke beetles that might otherwise damage the patty pan.

I was able to kill both insects, but that was only one apiece. I'm not worried about the cuke beetles, think I have a surefire way to keep them controlled, but I'm not confident about the squash bugs at all. I hate those buggers.

If you'd like some Caserta squash seeds to plant some distance away from your trials, just email me. I can send you enough to keep the cuke beetles busy, since they apparently really prefer the Casertas to most other squash and cucurbits. Can't help with the SVB or the squash bugs though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here