Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qbush

3rd Year Asparagus

qbush
9 years ago

This is the third year for asparagus in my garden, and the number of spears is slowly rising. Should I cut a few this year, and will that encourage new growth, or should I be patient and wait?

My garden has more shade than optimal, and I am used to working hard to maximize the potential for each crop with careful placement, and timing. But the vegetables I usually grow are annuals. Does a perennial like asparagus have different culture needs? I keep the bed weeded, and usually mulch in the fall with chopped leaves. This year I have compost available mature, and rough. Which would be better?

I have a pea trellis on the north side of the bed, and last year took a plentiful crop of small beets out of the front of the bed, so I know the soil is well drained, and there is sufficient sun to make this location productive. I am always slow to fertilize, but last year I did use a balanced fertilizer once, in the early spring. Reading other posts I see twice a year recommended. Any x-x-x info available?