Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wlynnp_tn

Insect barrier fabric - Thank you!

wlynnp_tn
9 years ago

At the beginning of the season I was reading in the forum about covering eggplants to protect them from the dreaded flea beetles. I decided to give it a try since last years eggplants were destroyed. I am amazed at how well it works. I've had them covered for three weeks and they look fantastic. They are starting to bloom so I will have to take the covers off soon. I'm going to experiment with Kaolin clay to see if that will work for the remainder of the season.

I wanted to post to say thank you for the good advice. keep it up!

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Eggplants are self-fertile (aka self-pollinating) so as long as there is air movement under the cover they don't have to be uncovered if you don't wish to. You can also hand pollinate the blooms easily.

Dave

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I have used nylon/French tulle to protect eggplants from Flea Beetles. It works. But when they are smaller. Ones they mature and start flowering, flea damage is not going to do substantial harm. Though leavin the tulle on is ok to, as it is light weight, lets air, rain, light come in.

You can use it to deter rabbits too.

• howelbama
    9 years ago

I've never worried about the flea beetles.. they make tons of tiny holes in the leaves on my eggplants every year, but I have never noticed any effect on the production, so I just leave them be.

• wlynnp_tn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The damage on my plants last year was so bad that most of them died...there was more holes than leaves.

I didn't think of that, Dave.....might be a good idea though. I didn't have enough fabric to build a tunnel...it's just draped over the cages and stapled to stakes...next year I'll get enough fabric to build a tunnel for them...and maybe the peppers as well.

• wlynnp_tn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought about using tulle...it would certainly be cheaper than the fabric I got.

• planatus
    9 years ago

I have used tulle with great success, but if you have some old window screens, sometimes a vertical screen enclosure, open at the top, is effective with eggplant flea beetles. Your plants look beautiful!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I am a strong advocate for 'Surround ', the kaolin clay product. I presume that's what you are going to use. I first started using it for sun and heat protection of my veggies, especially tomatoes (the actual fruit) and various squash (the foliage) but it didn't take long to see its anti-feedant and anti-egg laying qualities.

I think that it was during peak Japanese beetle time that I couldn't help but observe that treated plants were of no interest to those pesky beetles.

• wlynnp_tn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes, I just got the Surround in the mail yesterday. as soon as the storms move out of the area I plan on spraying all of the vegetables with that. I purchased Take Down spray earlier in the season, which is pyrethrin mixed with canola, but there seems to be some photo-toxicity with that so I am hesitant to use it. I am looking at mixing Serenade and Actinovate with the Surround....still researching that.

• wlynnp_tn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planatus, I think I will get some tulle for my squash before the SVB's get busy. even with the Kaolin clay I think the additional preventative measure is a great idea!