Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean Jerusalem Artichokes?

Posted by frdnicholas Albuquerque NM (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 10:06

I have a great crop of Jerusalem artichokes, but when I pull them up, it's very difficult to get all the dirt out of the little nooks and crannies. Does anyone have an easier way than scrubbing each one to get them clean enough to eat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean Jerusalem Artichokes?

Nope, sorry. They are knobby little buggers and scrubbing is the only way to get them clean. You could peel them but that's even more work.

Rodney

o

maybe try growing them in mounds of compost, which will leave much less fine soil stuck on the tubers. Mine are easy to clean because they are growing in a loam with high OM content.

o

I blast them with the hose out in the garden. Then soak them in water for a short while before preparing. Scrub and sacrifice some of the fiddlier bits. Or peel and shape into regular shapes - but then you sacrifice even more. But after all you did say have a lot of them.

Since they basically grow themselves in the heaviest grottiest bit of clay in the garden I don't mind wasting some of them. Mine are sprouting so I won't be harvesting any more until next winter.

o

Do as Floral said. In addition, in the final stage you can also use an old tooth brush.

o

We have some growing on the edge of the little stream that runs through our yard. I've never tried them. What do they taste like? Do you have to dig them, or will they pull right out?

I already feel guilty about all the watercress that goes to waste every year, but no one in the family likes it. Even the local grocer doesn't want it.
-Terry

o

• Posted by JCTsai 8B - Yulee, FL (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 19:56

You have to pull them out and dig them too. The taste of Jerusalem Artichokes depend how you cook. I usually cook with chicken soup. It is good for diabetic people.

Health Benefits of Jerusalem Artichokes

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-jerusalem-artichokes-4218.html

This post was edited by JCTsai on Sun, May 4, 14 at 21:05

o

• Posted by JCTsai 8B - Yulee, FL (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 20:20

use vegetable brush to clean Jerusalem Artichokes.

o

Very good pickled also.

o

I second pickling it. It will stay crisp, no matter what and for how long. Otherwise just use it as potato, in soup stew, et.

o

Certain cultivars are less knobbly too, e.g. Fuseau.

o

Thanks everyone for the info.
-Terry

o

Had some with pasta today, but undercooked them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here