Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulching with dead leaves

Posted by christyinco 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 10:15

Can I mulch my vegetable garden with dried leaves? I have bags of them and want to use them in the garden. This is my first garden so not sure how much and when I should put them down - just around the base of the plants, all over the garden, and do I add once all seedling are up and growing? How heavy of a layer?

Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulching with dead leaves

Okay - I see this conversation has happened down below on another thread, but still asking "when" I should put it down. It doesn't sound like I need to worry about shredding it, though I may run over it with a lawn mower first, then use leaves this fall to start my mulch for next spring.

o

It seems to me that if the leaves aren't shredded, they would prevent water from being able to penetrate underneath.

o

You put it down when the seeds have turned into seedlings. Put down 2 -3 sheets of newspaper first and use the leaves to hold it down. Also make sure you protect the tender stem from water by creating a crater around it to collect the water. Shred or no shred it doesnt matter but unshredded may start to stink after a good rain. It will all get shredded eventually when you till the garden for next year anyway!

o

organicislandfarmer, thanks for the info. I plan to put down newspaper for plants and cardboard between rows. And use pine needles and partially composted leaves as mulch but wasn't sure how to put it all together. I used straw only last year but didn't use enough. Hope to get some more this yr. Didn't know about the "crater". You have been most helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here