Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these True Leaves for Broccoli Raab?

Posted by musicalglow 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 10:20

Hi there,
Hoping someone can help me. I just bought a house and I'm trying to start a vegetable garden. I started some seeds from Seeds of Change in a Jiffy Professional Seed starting Kit (72) and I put some broccoli raab, summer squash mix, and red leaf lettuce seeds into my seed starter. It's only been 5 DAYS since I sow the seeds. My problem is that since the seeds were so small and i had SO many of them (broccoli raab and lettuce seeds), I may have put like 4-5 per peat pellet. Now the broccoli raab has germinated like crazy but I'm not sure if they are true leaves, they are so TINY and Fragile and Thin, so One peat pellet may have like 5 stems sprouting, should i remove all of them and leave only one now? Or is it too early?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these True Leaves for Broccoli Raab?

Those are the cotyledons. What those seedlings need now is stronger light.

Starting a few more seeds than you need is commonly done. I'd pinch off the larger, spindly ones and save the newly-germinated ones, getting them into more light will give them a better start.

It is, however, late for broccolis in your zone. You'll probably have better luck with your squash.

o
RE: Are these True Leaves for Broccoli Raab?

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 11, 13 at 11:33

they do look like brassicas - the tell is the butterfly shaped wings. They all come out like that, radish, cabbage, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, mitsuna - you need to wait for the 2nd set of leave (true leaves) to see how they are shaping up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here