Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant broccoli?

Posted by aaaaaaaa NJ--6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 10:24

Hi,

Is it too late you plant broccoli in North New Jersey--zone 6.

Appreciate any feedback/advice.

Thanks in advance.
Anna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant broccoli?

I just planted mine (plants, not seeds) last weekend.

o

Its too late to sow seed here in z5 for most cool season crops, unless you mean fall planting then it is too early.

Dan

o

Broccoli (modern varieties) is very easy. I'll go against traditional wisdom and say if you want plant a few, do it. Will bolt faster, just pick faster. Will still be edible.

o

• Posted by twc015 7b/8a SE Arkansas (My Page) on
    Thu, May 12, 11 at 14:08

I think it is too late; however, you may still want to try. If you plant now, you won't be harvesting until late June or early July and temperatures will be very warm to hot then. You will probably only get small heads if you plant now since the broccoli will try to bolt rapidly in the summer.

My broccoli plants aren't doing well now since we've had temperatures in the 80s. They are just trying to bolt. However, the cauliflower plants are still doing fine in the heat. They both definitely work better in the fall for my climate though; I thought I'd try them in the spring this year.

o

It's been pretty cool here. My soil temperature just hit 50 degrees. Don't know about NJ, but we often don't get really hot until mid/late August around here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here