Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Downy Mildew

Posted by hind_sight 7B (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 10:26

I'm in Alpharetta GA and I'm pretty sure my entire heirloom cucurbit crop has been plagued by downy mildew. The pics I've seen online of it more closely match what I see on my plants than any other disease, pest, infection, etc. I don't water overhead, but we have had a lot of early heat and pop-up thunderstorms which end up keeping the leaves wet.

Now that my plants are infected, is there anything I can do to save them? I'd like to avoid chemical fungicides if at all possible but will use them as a last resort. I sprayed the tops and bottoms of the leaves with neem oil today. Is there anything else I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Downy Mildew

Have you tried a milk-water solution?

o

Lets hope that you have Powdery Mildew and not Downy Mildew. The milk water, baking soda water and copper dusts will help control Powdery Mildew. DM is a different story. It require pretty potent fungicides which are not readily available to home gardeners. Fortunately many modern varieties of cucumber, squash etc have DM resistance.

o

Lost all my basil this year to downy mildew. Hope that isn't what you have.

-Vaughn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here