Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growing_in_the_dark

Potatoe Plants: Leaves turning yellow???

The potatoes I planted about a month ago, finally made an appearance above the ground. They are still very small, just hugging the surface of the soil. Today I noticed that the leaves on a couple of the plants are turning yellow. It appears to be spreading from the tips of the leaves back.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this?
Is it blight? The ones I planted are supposed to be blight resistant.

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Most likely cause - over-watering or nutrient deficiency. You have mentioned before about the wet climate you have. Has it been excessively wet? What nutrients/fertilizer and when has been used?

Dave

• Growing-In-The-Dark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Dave,

No it has not been particularly wet. In fact it's been quite dry by Irish standards. It is, however, quite possible that I've been over-watering them myself.

In terms of nutrients: I added 1 x very large bag of compost and 2 regular bags of manure to a 8' x 4' raised bed. The bag sizes for compost and manure here are in Liters which probably won't mean much to you, hence the vague descriptions.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Then I would cut back on watering a bit and side dress them with more composted manure or a higher N supplement.

Totally different climates of course but my two 4x8 beds get at least a good 2" of composted manures each spring and then mixed in well and I don't think 2 bags would be nearly that much, right? Can you get alfalfa meal or cottonseed meal to side dress them with?

Dave

• Growing-In-The-Dark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice. I'll cut back on the water. I don't think the amount of manure i put in would amount to 2". I'm not sure about those products you mentioned. I'm new to all of this. I'll do some research and see what's available. In the meantime I'll side dress with more manure.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Growing-in-the-dark - there isn't any need to water outdoor potatoes at all in the usual springs we get over here and this spring has been particularly chilly and unpleasant. I haven't watered anything in my garden this year except newly sown or transplanted seeds and seedlings. I'd stop watering completely. Don't forget your ground is probably already at field capacity after the winter.

I also rather doubt there is any need to feed them but I don't know your conditions.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I thought Irish people are experts on growing potatoes. Just kidding. But on serious not ,as Dave mentioned, yellowing in most cases is a sign TOO MUCH watering and/or TOO LITTLE nitrogen. Also , I think potatoes need more "K". K is for roots. My potatoes are about 50Cm tall now and in a week or so they should flower. I have not fertilized them exept at the time of planting and water them maybe once a week or so. I have about 10 hills in one row. Also, potatoes should be fertilized from the bottom of hiil , close to the roots, not from the top. The hill is just a housing for the tubers.

• Lynn-62
    10 years ago

My potatoe plants leaves are turning yellow as well. I have very sandy soil so to moist doesn't seem to be the problem. You mentioned fertilizing them from underneath does that mean I should work fertilizer into the ground around the base of each plan? Also is milorganite a good fertilizer for this?

• elisa_z5
    10 years ago

I don't know what is causing it, but I sincerely hope you have .something to eat other than potatoes.

(PS. apologies for the historical humor -- couldn't resist. And I know it was all the fault of the English anyway.)

• Monica Quinn
    6 years ago

It isnt.historical humour. Its historical prejudice. And boring. Heard it sooo many times.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

LOL...hysterical humor!! I can eat a lot of potatoes but I need at least a little meat on the side!

Welcome Monica!! I hope you didn't join just to comment on this thread. Let us hear how your garden is doing this year.

• Paul (MD 7a)
    6 years ago

Good point Jack! And you cant have any pudding until you eat your meat!