Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

looks safe to plant by May 15

njitgrad
9 years ago

Last year we had a very cool & windy end to the month of May in NJ so I was forced to cover all of my plants with sheet plastic (what is PITA is was).

This year the latter half of May is looking pretty good temperature wise. I'm on Day 7 of hardening and it looks like I'm on schedule for a May 15th or 16th planting. Does anyone see any reason to be cautious given the monthly outlook below?

{{gwi:50719}}

Comments (13)

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Is the soil warm enough? There's always a bit of lag. If it is, tomatoes should be fine but I'd hold off on the peppers until the end of the month (not sure what you're planting).

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Peppers should go out about 2 weeks after tomatoes. I'd hold off with the tomatoes until afternoon of the 18th or on the 19th just b/c it looks like it's going to be *sunny* and hot before that, even if your tomatoes are hardened off it's best to transplant on overcast days.

But looks good to go ahead and seed some beans, cukes, squash, etc. if soil is warm enough.

Looks very similar to our forecast - summer, here we come! Guess my lettuce is going to bolt, planted Tom Thumb hoping May wouldn't be terribly hot. Forget the spinach and kale at this point.

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I measured the soil temp at 60F a short while ago. Is that warm enough for the following seeds: cukes, zukes, yellow squash, beans, carrots, parsley, basil, and cilantro?

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

According to those projected temps, i would be planting soon. Carrots should be planted. Squash and cukes and beans could wait a week or more.

i have set out some of my tomatoes and some of my peppers. Second planting of corn is coming up. Early watermelons are in [under cloches].

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

cukes, zukes, yellow squash, beans, carrots, parsley, basil, and cilantro?

Many charts available online for the soil temps required for planting for all those. 60 degree soil is ok for most of them but not the optimum soil temps for best germination and planting.

I'd plant the herbs and carrots and maybe the cukes as you can always replant them if they don't germinate, but beans and squash prefer warmer soil. And peppers, definitely wait on those or they will have the same problems your broccoli did from going out too early. As already mentioned they average 2 weeks after tomatoes go in depending on the weather.

Dave

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

I'm in zone6 PA and planted my carrots and radishes 2 weeks ago, Just planted my zucchini,beets and some corn, Depending on which beans, Snow peas and beans really should have been in several weeks ago, My cauliflower, broccoli, potatoes, onions and cabbage was planted the second week of april, My tomatoes will be planted 3rd week of May and peppers last week, Looks like you can plant your tomatoes and peppers on May 17th or 18th.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

I consider the size of the transplants besides the date on the calendar. If they get leggy, they would possibly been better off planted sooner. Tomatoes can be transplanted while smallish. I plant my peppers earlier and do ok...for the record.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

I'm not going to put my tomatoes out as soon as I'd figured. I started hardening them first of this month, and they didn't do well at ALL outside. I was surprised, never had that problem before.

Then I realized, I'd always started and kept my seedlings on my sunporch, by the window with supplementary light. This spring the sunporch wasn't available, so I rigged up lights in the basement and only brought them up to harden off. This worked fine with the brassicas and lettuce, but the tomatoes weren't ready for it.

Lesson learned. I've moved the peppers onto the sunporch now to pre-harden.

otoh, last year the sunporch was too cold and the tomatoes were permanently stunted.

• Prachi
    9 years ago

I live in the Freehold area (NJ) ... I plan on planting my tomatoes out by this weekend (I go with Wayne_5 in that they are better off out that in bc of size). I have floating row cover on hand and ready to cover in case it gets to cold.

I have a mature pepper and egg plant and I am debating on putting them out within a week of the toms... my seedlings will wait for a bit.

However I will admit I am not as precise with you... weather is so unpredictable here in NJ that anything I plant out before June 1 needs to be able to tolerate the occasional cold spell or I need to be prepared to cover it .

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Prachi,

What does your floating row cover look like?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I planted out about 15 tomato plants on April 4 and 5. Our average temp then were : Lows down to 38F and highs up to 58F. Even after 35 dayd today we have 47F- 59F. We have had some bubbles (up to 75F) now and then but generally our temps have been in 41 to 65F range.

Despite the cool trend (actually normal here in PNW) my plants have grown from 8" to 14", some have flowers (turning into fruits), many have buds.

I planted out almost 6 weeks before traditional tomato plant out here (Mothers Day) and it has paid off. I must say that I have been monitoring temperatures from hourly, daily to 10 days extended.

Here is a picture that I took 5 days ago. It is a bloody Butched, that I started from seed on Feb 27.

YMMV

• AiliDeSpain
    9 years ago

Following

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

Njitgrad, it's not since to brag lol. We still have snow in our forecasts!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner