Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheriberrie

How much rain is to much rain?

sheriberrie
14 years ago

Oh dear, we have been getting alot of rain and I am scared my garden will sink! Every other day it has been storming for the last week. At least it has 1 day in between to absorb. I just hope it is not to much. As long as water is not sitting in the garden is it ok? I know this is a stupid question but just don't want garden to go under.

Comments (13)

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

If the ground is not actually waterlogged chances are things will be OK.

If you have very poor drainage and puddles are forming and staying then you could have problems and need to dig drainage ditches for now and build raised beds next season.

Gardening is gambling -- gambling that rain and sun, heat and cold, all work out in the end. :-)

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

The amount of rain that half the US has been getting for the past 6 days and will continue to get until this weekend is too much rain! lol. =)

I agree that the sun will even things out in the end also. Luckily, it was close to feeding time for my plants when the rain started last Friday. I transplanted a ton of plants on Saturday and fed them all. They are all growing excellent too! Cherry tom's 4 inches since then.

Peace - Steve

• pjames
    14 years ago

I'm in the same boat...actually if i had a pirougue, I could get to my garden. I live in NW Louisiana. We had 5 inches in a a few hours the other night and it beat my garden down. Standing water all over. It broke off some of the new growth on my beans and beat alot of the stuff into the mud. Most of my veggies are in the seedling size stage. Then another storm night before last and now it's raining again..

Guess I'll just have to replant alot of the garden. Beans will be no problem. But some of the other direct sow veggies like my carrots (first year trying them) and my late attempt at lettuce are gone.

I'd already transplanted the seedlings I'd started so I guess now I'll be buying started plants at Lowes or Home Depot.

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

I know Mother Nature balances everything out, but does all this rain mean that later on we'll get nothing???? Hope not.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

hanselman: Yea...not good for anyone who pays a water bill...lol...hopefully, there won't be too much dryness if it balances out.

• farmersteve
    14 years ago

I think most of us are in the same southern boat. We have had over 7 inches in the past 6 days in my area (and normal for the month is 5 and a quarter). It is times like these when I am very glad that I built those raised beds! But to answer your question, Sheri, I'll agree with the others that have said that it depends on your drainage. As long as the water is not sitting and it can get out of your soil, your veggies will be fine (unless you get 5 inches in one night - I feel for you Mr(s) James).

Steve

• steve2416
    14 years ago

I was pleased to finally get rain. 1.75" in the last week.
    Before that, I was filling my sprinkler can in the upstairs bathtub multiple times per day. Not only clorinated/floridated water, but 13 steps up for each 2 gallons.
    Cheers to the rain.

• farmersteve
    14 years ago

next time use a hose as a siphon...

Steve

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

lol

• californian
    14 years ago

What is rain? Its been so long since we had any in my part of southern California I forgot what it looks like.

• medcave
    14 years ago

We went from an 18 month exceptional drought to a 5" flood this spring with additional rains coming once a week for a few weeks. Everything came out of it fine, but I noticed the plants were looking a bit pale after a couple weeks.

Figuring the nutrients had leached out, I side-dressed with bone meal, Tomato Tone (for the tomatoes), and regular veggie fertilizer for the rest. Later when they needed watering again I sprayed with fish emulsion and seaweed.

Now my garden has never looked better!

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

sheriberrie Why are you trying to grow carrots and lettuce this time of year? I would have thought they would do better as a fall planting or earlier spring plantings.

• medcave
    14 years ago

We went from an 18 month exceptional drought to a 5" flood this spring with additional rains coming once a week for a few weeks. Everything came out of it fine, but I noticed the plants were looking a bit pale after a couple weeks.

Figuring the nutrients had leached out, I side-dressed with bone meal, Tomato Tone (for the tomatoes), and regular veggie fertilizer for the rest. Later when they needed watering again I sprayed with fish emulsion and seaweed.

Now my garden has never looked better!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists