Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabbage Problems

Posted by pluto1415 5b (NEO) (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 10:58

This is my first year growing cabbages and brussel sprouts and I did it from seed. I've got 2 brussel sprouts, 2 chinese cabbages and 2 red cabbages all near each other. The green/chinese cabbage is getting holes all over it. I looked at both plants as well as I can (without ripping them up to see the bottom of the bottom leaves) and I don't see any worms.

This morning, there were little balls of darker green stuff on the leaves near the holes (I assume poo of the worm).

Do you think this is worm damage and what can I use other than "sevin"?

See the dark green dots? They look like the tight buds on broccoli...
Photobucket

Another Pic:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabbage Problems

Cabbage worm damage. they hide very well. no doubt about it, cabbage worms. yes sevin dust or spray would control them, as well as organic BT powder/liquid

How do you integrate pics to your posts? Is it through a file sharing site?

o

What about garlic/red-pepper spray? I made some last year and it took care of the aphids I had very well. I'm on a super limited budget (hence the growing from seed) and I'd like to not have to go purchase something.

The pictures are all uploaded at Photobucket. On the album page where it shows the thumbnails of the pictures, I just copied and pasted what it says in the HTML box.

o

I'm not sure how limited your budget is but the dipel dust BT powder only cost me a few dollars at the garden center and it's lasted me several years and I still have more than half the bag left. The liquid BT can be more expensive for a lesser quantity. I don't think the garlic/red pepper spray will kill the cabbage worms. If you look really closely, you will see tiny green worms and pick them off, but they are really hard to find b/c they are the same color as the leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here