Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Celery

Posted by ironorchid Washington (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 10:59

I am having problems growing celery. I live in Western Washington State. I have tried growing Tall Utah & Tango Hybrid from seed. Both plants are short with very thin stalks. They are also stringy. I was expecting to get something I would find in a supermarket. Am I doing something wrong or are these hybrids just shorter and thinner?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Celery

Celery needs lots of water and fairly fertile soil. Also, store-bought gets covered with something to make it grow pale. I love home-grown celery, especially for cooking. But,mine is also deep green and tougher. I grow it during winter in a shady spot because it can get too hot for it even during winter in AZ. I also let it go to flower at the end of the season. It really attracts the good bugs and even had a bunch self-sow for the next cool season!

o

I've grown both those varieties here in western OR and they should get full sized and be similar to what you find in the store. Tracydr is right about the blanched stalks (which is easy to do) making them lighter colored and more tender, but your plants should be getting much bigger than you describe. So my thoughts are that you're not giving the plants what they need, (which as tracydr also said) is lots of fertility and very regular watering.
Celery is possibly the hardest veg for me to grow and i've given up growing enough for the farmers market I sell at. Instead i'm opting for more celeriac, which seems less picky.
I suggest you keep building your soil and do some extra research on growing celery and it's special requirements, and you'll get it right. Good luck.
-Mark

o

In our part of the country, celery is almost exclusively grown in muck soil. I'm not really sure how you would simulate muck - it's sandy, organically rich (black), and floats on an endless supply of water. The link is a very short read, but interesting nonetheless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Celeryville

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here