Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's up with my lettuce?

Posted by Lintu 7/CT (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 11:06

I planted lettuce as seedlings a couple weeks ago. Our temps have mostly been in the 50s and 60s and quite rainy. The lettuce is planted in an elevated raised bed that has window screening and hardware cloth as a base, so it drains very well. My lettuce seems to have hardly grown since I planted it, and some leaves are going yellow. Anyone have any help to offer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's up with my lettuce?

Cold, cloudy, rainy -- even lettuce needs sun and warmth to grow. And they are growing their roots first before the leaves. In another week or so, the leaves will take off.

o

I'm in MA and we've had the same weather. I also planted my lettuce seedlings a couple weeks ago. I was just wondering myself when they're going to take off. I guess they'll enjoy the sun today, then another glooming, rainy stretch :(

o

I am sick of the overcast!

o

I would love some overcast and rain. Its early May and my grass is already starting to get crunchy. (Very unusual until mid-July for Charlotte, NC)

o

Lintu - count your blessings. At least you still have lettuces! Every one of my 3 dozen transplants was eaten by snails. Not a sign of them remaining. We have had so much rain the gastropod population has exploded.

o

Oh no! Well, that is certainly worse.

o

I think our lettuce is under attack by slugs. I'm in MA and enduring the overcast rainy week. We deserve a string of nice sunny days soon!

I noticed holes in my lettuce this morning so put out a few "beer cups" for the slugs to enjoy. I hope they find them! And I hope I did them right! First time for everything... :o)

o

My lettuce was ravaged last spring by slugs here in MA. I think it rained all of April and May last year. I found success with sluggo. It's considered organic. I found it easier than trying to clean out slug traps and refill during rainy times.

o

Thanks michelelc for the sluggo suggestion, I'll get some.
The slugs are going for the beer cups for now, but with the rain predicted this week and next, I can use another method for sure!

For some reason the slugs go for the butterhead variety I've planted and haven't touched my romaine. I'm not complaining though, if they leave one alone I'll be happy.

Today my problem was squirrels in the green bean bed, going after seedlings. I love gardening to bits, but sometimes it's discouraging! I sprinkled chili powder heavily all over that bed, so maybe it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't...who knows?

We're ready for some sun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here