Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ediej1209

What would you plant here?

Our garden slopes from east to west. Most of it is a gradual slope, but then dips a little bit more about the last 10 feet (it's a 30' X 30' square). To the west is an overgrown brush field that isn't ours so we can't do any trimming except for what overhangs our property line. So that part of the garden is pretty shady. This is only the 2nd year that this particular garden has been in cultivation. Last year we made the horrible mistake of putting tomatoes there. We won't do that again! But what can we plant that would be a little happier in a shady spot? I was thinking cabbage but only today has my DH been able to get out there with the tiller and I think it's already too hot for brassicas to do well. My poor old brain is not cooperating so any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Edie

Comments (7)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Edie, how much shade or sun are we talking about here?
    I am growing tomatoes with less than 5 hours of direct sun.

There are a number of things that will grow fine with 3 to 4 hours of direct sun. Plants need a certain amount of light for their photosynthesis, that they can get it from indirect sun too. This is especially true about hot and long late spring/early summer days.

How about some cucumbers, summer squash, garden beans, parsley, chives, chard, kale, ...

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

A photo would help but if I understand correctly you are basically asking about what is called "shade gardening" and there are many discussions here about what grows and doesn't grow well in shade that the search will pull up for you.

All depends on how much shade. Vegetables that will tolerate partial shade:

Beets
    Carrots
    Chard
    Cilantro
    Garlic
    Kale
    Lettuce
    Parsley
    Parsnips
    Potatoes
    Spinach

Per http://www.examiner.com/article/40-fruits-vegetables-and-herbs-that-will-grow-partial-shade

The following crops will grow with as little as three to six hours of sun per day, or constant dappled shade. While size or yields may be affected in some instances, taste will be just as good.

Lettuce
    Arugula
    Spinach
    Broccoli *
    Green onions
    Cabbage *
    Parsley
    Sorrel
    Garlic
    Mint
    Collards
    Endive
    Cress
    Cauliflower *
    Peas *
    Currants
    Pak Choy
    Beets *
    Kohlrabi *
    Brussels Sprouts
    Mustard greens
    Thyme
    Coriander
    Tarragon
    Radishes
    Cardamom
    Potatoes *
    Rhubarb *
    Swiss Chard
    Kale
    Turnips *
    Carrots *
    Sweet potatoes and yams *
    Gooseberries
    Cilantro
    Dill
    Lemon Balm
    Strawberries *
    Beans *
    Blackberries and raspberries *

* means smaller yields.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Best shade tolerant vegetables

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

You might be able to use this to your advantage to grow bolt-sensitive crops like spinach, cilantro and lettuce, as suggested by Dave, to extend the picking period.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would post a picture if I could. Camera got dropped and haven't had time to think about a replacement.

I think that particular part of the garden really only gets 3 - 4 hours while the sun is directly overhead.

So you think it's not too late for cabbage and broccoli? That's awesome to hear. I'll be picking some up on my way home from work tonight! And a packet of Swiss Chard seed.

Thanks so much for your help. I will be a busy little bee tonight, that's for sure!

Edie

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think that particular part of the garden really only gets 3 - 4 hours while the sun is directly overhead.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Edie,
    That is more like partial sun than shade to me.

Possibilities are numerous, depending on what veggies you prefer and like. To some extend, it will depend on your summer temperatures pattern.
    DO YOU KNOW YOUR HEAT ZONE NUMBER?

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DO YOU KNOW YOUR HEAT ZONE NUMBER?
    ++++++++++++++

No I don't. I'm still trying to understand how we were Zone 4 one year and Zone 5 the next (and that was several years ago!)

So we have 2 rows of cabbage planted - greenhouse was already sold out of broccoli except for a couple of sorry-looking specimens. Hopefully I can find some this weekend, if the rain lets us get back into the garden anytime soon.

Thanks,
    Edie

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Good going Edie,.

Heat Zone is not the same as USDA zone. In that thread in tomato forum I have given a link (GA Interactive) you can enter your zip code and get your heat zone.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner