Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Monster Tomato Plant

Posted by Puggylover75 9B Norco, Ca (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 11:55

Good Morning Everyone,

Just wanted to share!

I planted this tomato plant last July. It has given me tomatoes all throughout the winter (If you can call it that....83 chill hours pffff) and is still putting them off strong.

Don't know what I did (Which is nothing, didn't even water it really) but it is an awesome year for me and my tomato plant!

I will have to take it out due to our chicken coop run being built. It is planted right where a post needs to go. I am so sad about this wish I could save it. On a lighter note the chickens will be in heaven with their knew 12' x 24' x 7' run!

Happy Gardening People!

Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Monster Tomato Plant

It looks awesome! Can you take some cuttings to try to keep it going? Or save seeds? What variety is it?

o

Is that a single plant?

o

Yes it is a single plant. I believe it was some sort of beef steak type tomato. I do not remember. I bought it at HD because I was late getting my seed sprouted for fall harvest. lol

It out preformed all my other bushes by far.

o

**in awe**

o

I've had some go into January during a mild year, but never over winter!
Personally, I would move the chicken coop a bit to see how long you can go with that one plant! Nancy

o

Jennifer - Run! Hide the children from the monster! LoL Looks great. My pitiful little tomatoes are no comparison.

o

this tomato of yours looks like a shrub i can hardly believe it. good job jennifer!

o

When a plant goes nuts like that I am sure it means the fungal relationships in the soil are very robust.

o

Fungal and bacterial relations very strong in that soil indeed! What do you do to fertilize, mulch,etc? Are you strict organic or?

On second look, it looks like you allowed the plants to topple over, rooting every few feet? Did you do anything to promote this rooting?

This post was edited by Natures_Nature on Wed, May 14, 14 at 21:51

o

:) Thanks All!

This tomato plant is just crazy!

I put manure around it when planted, that has been it. I really have neglected it.

Was planted where a barn/horse stall used to be so maybe that has something to do with the health/growth.

And believe it or not it is just one stalk.....has not rooted anywhere else.

The wind this past week did a real number on it....almost knocked it over (Thank god I had a post behind it to catch it). Some of my other mater plants will be producing in a month so I won't be so upset when the time comes to rip it out.

Jennifer

o

You can move the plant. Prune is severely. Then dig it up with a large ball of dirt around the plant pruning most of the roots in the process. Replant in a new place. It should thrive again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here