Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
howelbama

Cucumbers as as pest deterrent

howelbama
9 years ago

Hi all,

I was wonder if anyone has heard of/done this. I recently heard that keeping some sliced up cukes in a dish in your garden will help deter pests...

I am skeptical.

Apparently they emit odors that drive the pests away as they rot, but don't stink enough to offend our senses.

Has anyone tried this?

Thoughts?

Comments (15)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I am skeptical too. There are so many pests. Which one does cukes repel ?

• howelbama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The article wasn't specific, it just said "garden pests" I guess it can't cause any harm to try right?

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

So, it will deter the pests, but not the BENEFICIALS???

One reason why I don't use things like garlic or pepper spray. Broad spectrum, sounds like. Goes against the 1st rule of pest control -- IDentify first, then TREAT.

Kevin

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    9 years ago

You should be skeptical. If it really works then many would be doing it,wouldn't they? It is not like cucumbers were invented last August.

However, cucumbers are good. Try some. You may like them and if the pest don't that's their loss.

• howelbama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOLOLOLOL

I know cucumbers are good.... I grow them and eat them already, but thanks for the tip...

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Any article which talks about 'deterring pests' without specifying either the pests or the mechanism is suspect imo.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I recently heard that keeping some sliced up cukes in a dish in your garden will help deter pests...

I'd ask whoever told you that to show you the research showing it's effective against "pests", but not pollinators and beneficial insects.

Around here, the birds would eat the cukes.

• galinas
    9 years ago

Look, if they just say "garden pests" it is sure couldn't be correct. There are so many different pests, it is just impossible to have one remedy for all of them)(Would it be nice, though!)
    I just Google it.. It is true for some ants only:

"Set out cucumber peels or slices in the kitchen or at the ants' point of entry. Many ants have a natural aversion to cucumber. Bitter cucumbers work best."

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

LMAO. Knowing ants all too well, I see ants going like, "Eww! Let's walk around!"

Kevin

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

And once they rot you'd get fruit flies! Nancy

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Nancy nailed it.

Cucumber slices out in the warm weather will rot in no time. So sure you end up attracting som pests.

• howelbama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about the anecdotes about banana peels and aphids? Any validity there? You would think fruit flies would be an issue there as well.

• planatus
    9 years ago

I think this tek could have been based on the fact that cucumbers concentrate bitter compounds beneath their skins that are natural attractants for cucumber beetles. Burpless cucumbers lack these bitter compounds, so they would be of little use. You would need a low-bred bitter cucumber to make it work. The teasel gourd (Cucumis dipsaceus) will attract gobs of cuke beetles when cut up and placed in a dish because it has such an abundance of the bitter compounds.

• glo407
    9 years ago

Speaking of pest deterrent - small green catipillers are eating our collards and cabbage leaves. Need deterrent suggestions fast! A neighbor suggested a mild soap and water solution sprayed on leaves. Another suggested Neem oil. I'm afraid of the leaves burning/wilting or even killing the plants with either suggestion. Please help

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I agree with the others. I doubt that cucumbers would work for deterring pests. Sounds like another one of those things where people read an article about something (in this case about cucumbers having some benefit; possibly against ants), then they re-tell it and it gets misconstrued.

Glo407- They are cabbage worms or loopers. Pick them off and squish them if you don't want to spray. Be on the lookout for the eggs as well and when you see those, remove/squish them. The only deterrent is covering your plants with row covers or tulle. BT (Bacillus thuringiensis), which is a type of bacteria, kills them as well.

Rodney