Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nchomegarden

Planting medium for veggies over grass clippings

nchomegarden
9 years ago

Copying my post from the soil forum...
I have an area in my backyard which slopes down - about 4 feet down over 7 feet. I have filled it up with grass clippings and fall leaves and straw bales over the last 3-4 years. So now there is about 2 feet of grass clippings, leaves and straw there. I also dump old used potting mix, weeds and other organic matter in there.
I would like to plant some squash plants - zucchini, yellow squash, pumpkins there.
Here is what I was thinking of doing -
I have some large tubs from which I can remove the bottoms and sink them in the leaves/grass clippings mix. And then fill the tubs with potting mix and plant the squash in these tubs. I was wondering what I could use to fill the tubs - miracle grow potting mix? That would be the most expensive. Any other ideas?
I have seen Black Kow claiming that you could plant veggies directly into the compost bags. May be I could fill the tubs with it?
Underneath the grass clippings is all clay. And I would like to avoid having to dig all the way down to mix it all - hence the idea of planting in tubs sunk in and filled with potting mix, surrounded by the decomposing grass and other organic matter.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner