Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Peas in a pot.

newyorkrita
11 years ago

{{gwi:52428}}

I ran out of space in the garden and planted my peas in a container this year. I actually meant to start seeds early but never got to it so cheated and bought plants at the local nursery. These are Snow Peas. Never tried growing Snow Peas before. I usually grow Sugar Snap Peas.

Comments (11)

• kr222
    11 years ago

I've planted peas in containers in the past with really good results. Your plants look quite healthy and happy. The only challenge will be keeping the soil from drying out. Other than that, they're pretty easy.
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My peas and garden

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are not far from the house so keeping them watered should be quite easy. I plan to grow my pole beans in a pot this year also, only the pot is much bigger than the one with peas. In fact I am going to start my bean seeds today or tomorrow. And I have some pea seeds. GREEN ARROW garden peas. I know it is really late to start peas but I have another pot and nothing to loose by planting them.

• Molex 7a NYC
    11 years ago

I started my peas back in early april and are all flowering. It may be a little late for the peas, only because I expect this nice weather we have been having to only get warmer.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it is late, I usually start peas from seed, they are easy. But much earlier than this. But not organised this year. Still, I just planted the GREEN ARROW seeds in another pot right next to the one with the seedlings.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fall peas are in pots also this year.

{{gwi:52429}}

• pegleg48
    11 years ago

That's a lot of peas in a pot! Do you find that's too crowded? or do you thin them out?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I wasn't planning on thinning. I think absolutely all the seeds came up.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peas in the pots really growing well.

• jonfrum
    11 years ago

Don't be afraid to crowd peas - they love it. I grow my peas in a trench about 4 inches wide, and just spread seed throughout. They support each other as they grow.

• lizbeth_pa
    11 years ago

Looks wonderful! I wanted to plant some this yr too, but I also ran out of room in my raised beds. I will have to try that next yr! Can you plant them now?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A little late to start in zone 6 but still not much to loose if you can get them planted.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm