Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peas in a pot.

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 12:27

Photobucket
I ran out of space in the garden and planted my peas in a container this year. I actually meant to start seeds early but never got to it so cheated and bought plants at the local nursery. These are Snow Peas. Never tried growing Snow Peas before. I usually grow Sugar Snap Peas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peas in a pot.

I've planted peas in containers in the past with really good results. Your plants look quite healthy and happy. The only challenge will be keeping the soil from drying out. Other than that, they're pretty easy.
Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My peas and garden

o

They are not far from the house so keeping them watered should be quite easy. I plan to grow my pole beans in a pot this year also, only the pot is much bigger than the one with peas. In fact I am going to start my bean seeds today or tomorrow. And I have some pea seeds. GREEN ARROW garden peas. I know it is really late to start peas but I have another pot and nothing to loose by planting them.

o

• Posted by MoleX 6b BKLYN (My Page) on
    Sun, May 13, 12 at 17:56

I started my peas back in early april and are all flowering. It may be a little late for the peas, only because I expect this nice weather we have been having to only get warmer.

o

I think it is late, I usually start peas from seed, they are easy. But much earlier than this. But not organised this year. Still, I just planted the GREEN ARROW seeds in another pot right next to the one with the seedlings.

o

Fall peas are in pots also this year.

Photobucket

o

That's a lot of peas in a pot! Do you find that's too crowded? or do you thin them out?

o

No, I wasn't planning on thinning. I think absolutely all the seeds came up.

o

Peas in the pots really growing well.

o

Don't be afraid to crowd peas - they love it. I grow my peas in a trench about 4 inches wide, and just spread seed throughout. They support each other as they grow.

o

Looks wonderful! I wanted to plant some this yr too, but I also ran out of room in my raised beds. I will have to try that next yr! Can you plant them now?

o

A little late to start in zone 6 but still not much to loose if you can get them planted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here