Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandad_2003

Here we go again - No Tomatillo's

grandad_2003
16 years ago

Following are the results from planting Toma Verde Tomatillos from the SAME seed packet.

2005 - Lots of tomatillos on 2 plants

2006 - No tomatillos on 3 plants. (But my gardening freind who received 2 plants from me had more than what he could use and froze a large surplus.)

2007 so far - Nothing. I believe my problem is due to not having any bees to polinate. I tried manually polinating but so far without success. It might be that my pollinating brush has nylon bristles and needs to be a hair based brush.

Am I alone in this problem?

Comments (17)

• loydb
    16 years ago

I have tried tomatillos twice, and failed both times. They're on my list to try again next year, as I love them. In fairness, both years that failed were miserable, hot drought years, in which nothing but the peppers really did well.

loyd

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

It might be that my pollinating brush has nylon bristles and needs to be a hair based brush.

It's always better to use natural hair bristles. Try a make up brush.

In the future, plant at least 5-7 plants.

• grandad_2003
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did notice 2 bees visiting the flowers yesterday. I will also try the hair brush approach.

My gardening friend who did well with the tomatillo's had a look at my flowers. His plants are also not yet producing this year. He commented that he remember the flowers on last year's plants looking different. Is it possible that my plant is producing all male flowers? Perhaps there are pictures of tomatillo flowers somewhere.. think I may do a web search on this.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Is it possible that my plant is producing all male flowers? Yes, which is the reason more than one plant is required. Each plant is either male or female.

• fliptx
    16 years ago

Tomatillos aren't self-pollinating like tomatoes? Huh! I learn something new everyday.

• grandad_2003
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Violet, I have three plants not one. I searched the web for male/tomatillo flowers and only found pictures of one flower. The flowers shown look exactly like my flowers. The sites said nothing of male or female flowers. So do you have a reference that shows both male and female flowers? If so, can you let me know where to find it?

• grandad_2003
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Meant to type searched for male and female flowers..

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Sorry, I misspoke.

Tomatillos have male and female blossoms but will not self pollinate. They require a different plant for pollination. Males on one plant can only pollinate females on a different plant. It could simply be early, once they start going, they go crazy with production.

• jimster
    16 years ago

Don't give up yet. Tomatillos can be slow to set fruit at first and it seems like they will not fruit. Then, all of a sudden, they can be loaded. This question comes up frequently.

Also, remember that empty husks form first, then the fruit grows inside.

Jim

• grandad_2003
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They're here!!! Three lanterns on the way. Not sure if to give credit to the 2 bees that I saw a couple of days ago or my hand pollination but looks like one or both did the trick.

• microbradley
    16 years ago

Hi - I've had a similar problem this summer - planted Toma Verde's from seed - I have one plant that's about 3 feet tall - has 1,000,000 flowers and NO fruit! I've had some miniscule husks that have something the size of a pea (or less) inside. What's a guy to do?

• Macmex
    16 years ago

My tomatillos generally start out with, what seems to be "empty lanterns." With time they fill out. My guess is that you should just wait. I plant mine in an out of the way corner of the big garden and only go back about every other week. They last a long time on the vine. I try to pick mine when they are filled out right to the husk.

Having said that, I have noticed, that as the summer has progressed, I've begun to get some empty husks. I suspect an insect pest is causing this.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• jimster
    16 years ago

Just wait. I've never had them fail to first develop empty husks, then fruit inside the husks.

Jim

• lolly_gardener
    16 years ago

I have just one plant. It grew quite humungous. It has about a million flowers, and even more empty husks for the past 3 weeks. I see tons of bees around it. But no Tomatillo. For me, I would get some tomatillos when I stop hoping to get any from it. Its weird. Maybe it needs some watering curtailed...

Lolly Gardener.

• raisemybeds
    16 years ago

Holy Moly you guys. anyone who doesn't have tomatillos should come to my house and gather them off the ground. They are EVERYWHERE and I cannot keep up with the harvest. This is my first time growing them, and there are but TWO plants. I guess I got lucky, based on some of your comments. How do I freeze them?

• barton
    16 years ago

I had four plants and finally pulled them up because I got tired of making salsa, couldn't give my surplus away, and how much canned salsa verde does one old lady need anyway?

I have flowers in and around my vegetable garden, dill, buckwheat, mint, zinnias.. so maybe that attracts the pollinators.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting