Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilting carrot tops

Posted by choclatelovr VA (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 12:42

Hello, all. I just recently started vegetable gardening in the middle of March. I have some carrots that I planted from seeds & they were doing well for a while, but recently the tops have been wilting/falling over.

I had kept them inside in a small-ish pot, so I figured they needed their own space & moved each of the 4 carrots into their own containers (small misc. containers, not real pots) and put them outside with my other plants. When I was moving them, the carrots themselves seemed healthy & it didn't look like there was a problem with them..

They've been outside for about 2 days and they don't seem to be getting any better. If anything, they kind of look like they're wilting even more. I thought it might be from lack of water, so I've tried to water them well every day. The weather outside lately has been around 70-80 degrees. Any tips or help is very much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilting carrot tops

I have never been able to transplant carrots successfully, especially ones that big.

o
RE: Wilting carrot tops

First, carrots don't transplant well. They should be direct seeded in the garden or in the container you plan to grow them in to maturity.

Second, you took a tender plant that was grown inside and put it out in the intense sun. You have to gradually expose indoor plants to the outside a little bit at a time. You can't expect them to just be fine. Even if they were in a sunny window the light inside isn't as bright as it is outside. Reading up on how to harden plants off will help in your future.

Your carrots might survive if you give them some shade and take the time to properly harden them off. But whether they will make a carrot is anyone's guess (I wouldn't bet on it though).

Rodney

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here