Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far is too near for avoidance planting?

Posted by felin 8B (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 12:42

Last post didn't post up. Maybe I forgot to hit Send.

Can't find info ANYWHERE when Googling.

I know that Brassicas are not good around tomatoes, however, only area left in my garden to plant final variety of tomatoes is near Baby Pak Choi, however, I am wondering if I can still plant near that bed if I plant far enough away.

Might anyone know how far away I need to be safe??

That is the one thing that I cannot seem to find info on is distances in either companion or avoidance planting. Wish more authors would remember to add this info as I am somewhat of a newbie yet.

Thanks in advance!

Mindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far is too near for avoidance planting?

I don't understand your concern. I have no problem with brassicas ( broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, radishes, turnips, rutabagas pak choi etc)planted next to tomatoes. Tomatoes can be big plants, but in warmer climates like mine brassicas are harvested before the tomato plants size up. Or in the case of fall planting brassicas go in as tomatoes plants are finishing up.

o

Safe? There is no danger. Lack of solid information should probably hint to you that nothing terrible will happen. Most places I've read say there is no ill effect, a small number of sites claim that the plants "repel" each other and won't be as vigorous. Whether you believe they stunt each others growth or not, the resulting crop won't be inedible or unfruitful. So plant away and find out for yourself what happens. That's half the fun of gardening, verifying or nullifying these kooky claims!

o

I've only heard/read that they are both heavy feeders and one will rob the other of nutrients.

Well, guess this is like so many other things if life, health and gardening. There are opposing opinions out there everywhere which makes it really hard to decide on what is really true.

I do thank you for your feedback.

Mindy

o

Mindy, that's the fun of gardening. Trying things and finding out for ourselves. There is no teacher like experience, so don't worry about avoidance planting. Just "do your thing" and learn. Have fun, and best wishes for a bountiful crop this summer.

o

That is the one thing that I cannot seem to find info on is distances in either companion or avoidance planting. Wish more authors would remember to add this info as I am somewhat of a newbie yet.

Trev makes a good point. As you have discovered the info available on companion/avoidance planting is 'sketchy' at best. That is one reason why it has never been more than a passing fad in gardening. Another reason is because so little of its theories actually hold up in real practice.

Dave

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 11, 12 at 19:49

Yes they are heavy feeders, that mean add more compost.
Compost then Peas next year with other soil builders.

o

Thanks again to you all!

We went ahead and planted our San Marzano Tomatoes right smack next to our Baby Pak Choi.
Time will certainly tell us.
While, yes socks, you are absolutely right about learning by experience, I sure want to avoid the mistakes that I can as I'll make enough of my own. That has already been proven time and again. ha!
It really is so very amazing how polar opposite opinions are on this matter and from seemingly long-time gardeners.

Learning, learning.

Thanks all!!,

Mindy (and hubby John)

o

The bok choy is going to bolt any day, so it's a moot question. Mine went last week. Heat-resistant leaf lettuce like Salad Bowl is the only thing I've found that likes to be anywhere near tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here