Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cucumbers and melons...row covers?

Posted by SunshineZone7 MD 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 12:42

I have never used row covers before. I am going to plant some cucumber and melon seeds and I have read there are pests that can destroy young seedlings. If I use a row cover, do I put the cover on as soon as a sow the seeds? Or do I wait until germination? Do I use hoops to keep the cover high or just lay it on the ground?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cucumbers and melons...row covers?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, May 18, 14 at 12:54

Support or not depends on the weight of the row cover you are using - weights vary greatly. Floating insect barrier types can be laid on the ground and it "floats up as the plants grow.

Heavier weights will require hoops or supports of some kind and air circulation under the cover to avoid trapping heat. How strong the supports need to be will again depend on the weight used.

Do you plan to trellis the cukes and melons or just let them run along the ground?

But please keep in mind that pollination and production will be reduced under row covers unless you plan to hand pollinate regularly. Otherwise remove them once the plants begin to bloom. So how effective row cover will be all depends on the specific "pest" you are protecting them from.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave. I am getting this cover http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HHQNBG?pc_redir=1400334780&robot_redir=1

It looks lightweight.
I have read about how terrible cucumber beetles are, I figure should try to protect against them. I figure once the plants are bigger (but not flowering yet) I will remove the cover.

I am still figuring out if I will trellis the melons. I am new to both the cucs and the melons.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, May 18, 14 at 18:40

Yeah that one is primarily a frost protector, note how it says "traps heat and moisture" and "frost protection" on its label? It will need supports and either opened at the ends for cross ventilation or rolled up in the heat of the day once the seedlings germinate.

Linked insect barrier below, it weighs less than 1/2 as much and little to no heat trapping.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect barrier row cover

o

Oh....yes Dave that is what I need! I will get that! Do I need to put that down as soon as I sow the seeds?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here