Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer squash, Zucchini leaves turning white

Posted by sierradessa Florida (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 12:53

I am growing my squash in earth boxes this year and last week i noticed one of my leaves were almost grey in color...kind of like silver. I dont think it is powdery mildew... it didnt start in circles and it does ot rub off to the touch. Slowl more and more leaves are turning this whitish grey color. They were planted from seed about a 5 weeks ago and transplanted into the earth boxes about 3 weeks ago. I dont know what i should do! Should i treat it as if it is a fungus? Baking soda and water? Is it an iron deficiancy? any thoughts or tips would be wonderful!

Sustainably,
Sierra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer squash, Zucchini leaves turning white

Post a photo please. With some varieties it is normal for the leaves to develop a mottled whitish pattern. It may also be nothing more than sun scald or wind damage.

Dave

o

here is a link to the pictures. thanks for posting back!
http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj639/sierruhh88/

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

o

Photobucket

Nutrient deficiency is my best guess. They need a good feeding as even the unaffected leaves are too anemic looking and the veins are pale. They are in a container so they will need regular feeding weekly.

Check out the link below for more info and pics.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Zucchini problems

o

As was said, add fertilizer. Do it on a regular basis because water washes it out of the container and because each of those planters have too many plants.

o
summer squash

I read that I should not cut old leaves. I already did... so can I put wax on the cut site?

o
mushy squash

I had a baby summer squash on the vine that was mushy. What caused this? All the other fruits are fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here