Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Missing lettuce, whose fault?

Posted by ikea_gw (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 13:20

I garden at a community garden and a single head of bibb lettuce has gone missing. My plot is surrounded by a 5 ft 12 gauge wire fence. I had 8 bibb lettuce together in 2 rows and they are near mature size. One is missing at the end of a row. There are also other lettuce in the plot, mainly romaine type, all intact.

I generally haven't had problem with human theft there and since there is just one head missing I suspect it isn't a person. What would do this kind of damage to lettuce? I have had a few lettuce eaten to the ground earlier during the season but haven't had any issues since. Any help will be appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Missing lettuce, whose fault?

I just commented on another post here about bunnies eating their little way through the garden. A baby bunny is tiny and can get in and eat a whole head of lettuce easily. I can't grow lettuce mostly because of that!

o

Melissa, do you think bunnies would browse and eat a leaf here and there or it would chomp down an entire mature head of lettuce overnight?

I suspect it is either a bunny, rat, or a groundhog. I always had marks on my tomatoes but never before had an entire head of lettuce cleanly disappear.

o

Was the lettuce pulled out or cut? How much is left? I'd suspect your human neighbors first.

o

Seems like the root is missing as well. If my human neighbor did it, why wouldn't he/she take more than one?

o

Guilt.

o

I honestly don't think that sounds at all like the pattern animals follow. Animals DO move around as they feed, and would most likely damage multiple plants in the process. And, they do leave stubs/stalks behind.

To me, it sounds like someone wanted a head of lettuce. Why would they take just one? Because that was all they needed at the time. Perhaps they'll be back to take more later. You can hope not.

Perhaps you could try something to discourage theft. One idea that might work, the fake-out -- dust the plants with some white flour or corn starch, which of course would be totally harmless, then put up a little sign that says "Danger, Poison -- these plants have been treated with insecticide. Do not touch. Do not harvest or consume these plants for 14 days, until May 24, 2012. After harvest, wash thoroughly" or whatever.

o

• Posted by suprneko 9b/sunset 16 NorCal (My Page) on
    Tue, May 8, 12 at 23:59

Oh I love that fake out idea, so amazingly sneaky!! lol

o

Ooh that fake out idea is brilliant!! I already did some rabbit/rodent spray around the perimeter of the lettuces but I may try that white powder idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here