Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fan

Posted by stuffradio SW 8a BC (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 13:23

I have over 120 newspaper seedling pots of numerous seedlings in each one. I'm going to start transplanting some of them within a week or two. Should I turn on a fan on low for about 15 minutes a day to get the stems thickening up? I also have some Melons amongst the seedlings I'm growing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fan

Fans really need to be on from day one of growth and far more than 15 mins a day. Try 12 hours a day and if it is oscillating so much the better.

Turning it on this close to transplant time may not help much but it sure can't curt them.

Dave

o
RE: Fan

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Wed, May 2, 12 at 13:14

I leave the fan on low all the time in my cold greenhouse & it works well. You can also run your hand over them touching lightly at the tops of the plants.

More light, less fertilizer & cooler temps make the stems thick as well as the air movement.

My brother gave us some giant pumpkin starts with thin tall stems that had a rough ride in the car on the 2 hour drive over here because the stems were tall & thin. It's way too cold for pumpkins until at least June at our place, so I rigged up temporary accommodations inside the kitchen.

I slipped the peat pot into a tall slurpee cup along with some chopsticks & stacked the cup on stuff to be 2" under the over the range fluorescent spiral. They've greened & thickened up a bit as well as grew another inch this week. So far the stems appear to be healing & I will add more soil in the cup this week.

There's hope for thin & spindly seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here