Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's eating my cucumber/tomato seedlings

Posted by danielinthelionsden IN (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 13:25

So this weekend something ate a few of my cucumber seedlings. I've had trouble with something eating tomato seedlings in the past and putting chicken wire around each plant seemed to help with that. Whatever it is it's completely eating the seeding down to the ground. I would suspect rabbits except that I wouldn't think rabbits would go for tomato and cucumber, especially when there is lettuce just one row over which is completely undisturbed.

Any idea what it could be and what's the best way to control it? I could put wire around every plant but that sure seems like a lot of extra work.

Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's eating my cucumber/tomato seedlings

Cutworms? Put a small "collar" of aluminum foil around the base of each seedling and see if the damage stops.

o

I'm having problems with cucumber seedlings this year too. None of the transplants I've put out, just Middle Eastern cucumbers germinating in hills.
They aren't cut to the ground. Mine are the leaves being picked off and in most cases, disappearing?
My garden is fenced with 1/2" wire mesh, so I can't see it being rabbits. Squirrels or birds I think.
Perhaps I'll follow your lead and put chickenwire cages around the hills and see if it solves the problem.

o

Well I tried the foil but a couple of them were still eaten off. I've also put out moth balls, hung a foil pie pan, and put a small fence around the entire garden. None of which has helped.I'm considering putting clear plastic bottles around individual plants to see if that helps. Only issue I can see there is drainage when it rains. I'm thinking some small holes in the bottom might help with that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here