Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this tomato plant ruined?

Posted by smichel 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 13:41

Something is eating my tomato plant! From looking on the forum I'm thinking it might be a hornworm but I haven't seen any lurking around -
just their destruction! This morning my tomato plant leaves were  stripped
and underneath the plant are green segmented pilings.
Is this plant done for? Will it re-grow leaves? Should I pull it out or start overwith a healthier plant? (This seems to be the only one affected but it's a different
variety from the others.)

Here is a link that might be useful: My cinder block garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this tomato plant ruined?

Unless you have deer in the backyard it looks like more than one hornworm has been working on that one. I'd put in a new plant and learn how to spot hornworms for future reference.

Dave

o

That stinky little critter was there all along! I just went out in the garden and checked after looking up pics of a hornworm and he was there eating the underside of the branch - camoglaged! Then I checked one of my original pictures and he was on there when I took the pic - I just never saw him! Gardening isn't for the squeemish. I smashed that Big 'ol fat stinker!! UGH!

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

o

Wow! Ugh! Makes me want to go inspect all of my tomato plants!! I had some teeny little quarter of an inch long caterpillars destroy my spearmint overnight. So annoying! Go away buggies!!! (Except the good guys, of course.) :)

o

They are what they eat - in color, at least. Makes them impossible to spot sometimes.

The frass is darker green, gives them away.

o

How are you guys posting pictures?

o

The green segmented pilings are the remains of your tomato...after digestion by the caterpillar. Next time keep a close eye out for the eggs and the small cats before they have time to get so big.

o

Hormworm eggs are pearly (sometimes slightly green) and laid singly on the underside of tomato leaves.

o

EEEEWWWW! Whenever I have hormworms, I make my husband kill them. It's a lot of laughs. He takes two 1x2's about 6 feet long and disposes of them by whacking them between the two stakes. Even he can't stand to get near them.
However, I am getting good at crushing lily leaf beetles in my fingers. They are so bad that I am getting rid of more and more of my lilies. I really am tired of looking for them every day.
Keski

o

The good news is that the plants should recover. It takes a lot to kill a tomato. They won't be overly HAPPY about it, but they should live.

And for finding hornworms, they fluoresce under blacklight just like scorpions. Get a handheld blacklight and go out at night to look for them and they'll stand out like, well, a glow in the dark bug.

o

Endymnion, where would I find a handheld blacklight?

KerenR, here's how to post photos from Photobucket (a free photo-hosting service):
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0513322013993.html?14

o

o

Thank you, Endymnion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here