Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mushrooms in raised bed

Posted by jollyrd Richmond VA (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 13:47

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/crypto/msg0511550526377.html

does it matter in which bed/next to which plants mushrooms appear? what does it tell you about the condition of soil in that particular bed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mushrooms in raised bed

Mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of fungi. Plants form mutually beneficial relationships with fungi. Mushrooms are the evidence that your soil has a healthy environment for fungi.

I would leave the mushrooms alone - leave them where they are so that they can drop spores into the soil. Or, after the mushroom has dropped its spores, I might take the soil from where the mushroom grew (and dropped its spores) and spread it around in the garden bed to inoculate the rest of the soil with the fungi. It might not be the exact right fungi for a particular plant, but the presence of mushrooms is definitely a good thing.

o

Agree but if the growth is abundant it may also be telling you that the bed is being kept too wet.

Dave

o

ah, that's like song to my ears, I must have done something right to get them to grow on their own. I never saw this sort of mushroom anywhere before.

o
RE:toadstools

Toadstools. They aren't for dinner. ;)

o

digdirst - I know, I am not eating any of them. We are having yet another wet sprint in Virginia this year, rains 3 days out of a week. Glad I have raised beds and they drain well.

o

Yeah...So There... Digdirst ;-)

o

they looked like they were about to burst yesterday, so I sprayed them over the other two beds and burried left overs in the soil

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 26, 10 at 13:15

It is a clear puffball, and puffballs inhabit relatively dry habitats, so it is not a clear sign of overwatering. For example, I have puffballs on sandy prairie land which is dry to at least 8 ft in a normal August, yet they flush (sometimes) in September. Prairie and prairie edges are in fact the normal habitat for them, though a neighbor did get one under the hostas. The timing is unusual, these strongly prefer early Fall fruiting.

The smooth one and this one (lycoperdon perlatum I think) are choice edibles, but I have never been able to eat one. They soon become a huge mass of spores, 1 trillion per mushroom. If the inside is anything but creamy white, and firm, no good. Most often it will just past its prime, greenish or yellow, and spongy.

The puff part of the name comes from their ejection of noticeable plumes of spores about 1 week later. I have myself injected some rotting wood behind my house with chunks of puffballs, in the hope of getting some in a visible place. Those hiding in the tall grass are too tough to find in time. Anyway, all soil dwelling mushrooms are good news in the garden.

o

This particular fungus forms a crust like surface on my raised bed. It goes down about an inch in depth. I don't know what it is.
Mike

o

I have mushrooms and other fruiting fungi all over my garden because we use a lot of wood mulch, and beds are terraced with untreated wood. The mycelium is excellent for the soil, even provides N as it breaks down. I have never seen an edible species in the garden, but I like the colors and forms of the fruiting bodies, and how they change with the seasons.

o

Pmiker- Pretty sure that's artillery fungus, pretty common in wood mulch. Harmless to you plants, potentially a nuisance to your house if the bed in question is right up against it. Here's a link with more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fungus

o

pmiker, I think what you have is birds nest fungus. I see some "eggs" in some of the "nests" in your photo.
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/may2006.html

[You can also do an image search for "birds nest fungus" to see photos of different types. I have a lot of these in my mulch, which is ground-up silver maple branches.]

This is his entry for the "artillery fungus:"
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/jul2005.html

o
RE: help mushrooms in raised bed

can anyone identify this. I think it is a type of mushroom/fungus in our straw raised bed. We like is such a dry climate I didn't think this would happen. And is is OK?

first time using the forum, it looks terrific.

o

If you don't get a good answer here, try the mushroom forum:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mushroom Forum

o

Ll, yours appears to be a new 'stinkhorn ' fungus. Post pictures in a day or so in order that we can see the progress.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here