Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Changing gardenbed to veggie garden idea.

newyorkrita
11 years ago

This morning while walking the garden I had an idea. Yes, those are very dangerous because it always means more work coming. Anyway. I have this section about 10 feet by eight feet that butts up against the house on one side and the front porch on the other. It has roses, two coneflowers and some vines against the house with a mid section empty. I was thinking of my veggie gardens and how I simply can not dig up more lawn as there is none to dig up. But if I move a sedum, two coneflowers and some roses then I have an empty space to make into whatever I want. And I have decided it will be a veggie garden. So another summer project for me which is to relocate those plants. It really is not that many. And then next spring I can plant veggies there.

I will have to work on amending the soil some but I could do that near the fall. I think this is going to work out really well for me.

Comments (16)

• kr222
    11 years ago

That sounds like a good idea. Something I would do. :) I am constantly moving plants around.
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My gardens

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will start on the moving out of plants from there as soon as I get everything planted that needs to get in ground this year. Like today I was planting zinnia seedlings and planted out my pole bean seedlings from the cell packs I used to start the seed. I will just move the roses to already exhisting other rose beds here and move the perennials over to another flower garden area. Then I can figgure out how to laqy it out once it is empty as I can then stand and measure and think on layouts. Maybe I can get it done in time for fall crops like fall peas and greens.

• albertar
    11 years ago

Hi Rita
    When I saw the title of your post my first thought was "Oh no she is going to dig up all those beautiful day lilies". LOL. Good thing I read the whole thing and saw you will only be moving a few plants. Your idea sounds like a good plan, we will be expanding our vegetable beds next year, a few of the pathways now are 3 foot wide and we don't need paths that wide, so our work is cut out for us next year.

Alberta

• socks
    11 years ago

That's what I did, dug up a few roses and have a tiny space for vegetabkes, There are still 3 rose bushes left which have to share with the zucchini and tomatoes. Good luck with that. It's fun to have more space for vegetables.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha, I have plenty of roses and rose beds, I will just move those few roses and tear out and toss three that reverted to rootstock. Only going to move the roses into another rose bed anyway.

There are no daylilies in this section I want to redo although there are certainly daylilies around it. I have the two sedum plants and the coneflowers which are easy enought to move. I know were they can go. Like I said the middle behind the roses is empty and up against the house are clematis and honeysuckle vines that I do not intend on moving.

The reason I need a new spot for veggie planting is because I took over the old veggie spot and made it into daylily and iris beds! Alberta, don't worry, no daylilies will be harmed (or moved) in the making of this vegeatable bed. :-))

• Mindyw3
    11 years ago

It sounds like that is in your "drip zone". I would not plant edibles in the drip zone.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What is a drip zone? This area is 8 by 10.

• Mindyw3
    11 years ago

The drip zone is the area about 3 feet wide directly below your eaves outward. The soil in that zone is typically contaminated from roof eun off and paint deterioration(whether lead based or not). Google it. Im doing a study on some soil this summer and most of it was from drip zones.

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

More people are planting edibles in flowers gardens these days. I just moved some herbs into a border garden between the scabiosas. As long as the watering requirements are compatible, why not? Mine are along a fence, not in the drip zone. If you have rain gutters, I wouldn't think the drip zone would be an issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have gutters there so not worried about rain runoff. Not conserned about the non exisistant paint caseoff either. The area directly on the house has vines trellied on it. (Honeysuckle and clematis). I am planning on leaving those.

• Mindyw3
    11 years ago

having gutters really doesnt make much difference.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will just do the layout of the space so that the pathway is there in the space right next to the house and then start the veggie rows on the outside of the path, away from the house.

• Deborah-SC
    11 years ago

I think my husband gets scared every time he sees me staring @ the yard ... LOL

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have been working on this. Lots more work than I had first thought. But now 5 roses are dug and tossed out of my garden and ten more were dug and relocated to rose beds in other areas of the garden. Finished getting it all out yesterday.

{{gwi:53914}}
    It is just a messy empty space now with everything out. Well, three lilies still need to be moved today.

{{gwi:53915}}
    I measured three feet out from the house and just laid that green frence post down so I could see where that was. I was never going to plant veggies on the inside of that line anyway, I am planning on putting sunflowers (which only the squirrels eat) that I grow as ornimentals here.

As it is I will be moving that line OUT away from the house as I need more room for the sunflowers in front of the honeysuckle.

This is not going to be a large veggie space but I will be using the front space for veggie gardening.

{{gwi:53916}}
    Honeysuckle stays just were it is.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update. New garden area is really growing well. I transplanted some tomato seedlings that were doing poorly in their old location and they too off.

The tomatoe are 46 inches from the house so over the drip line issues that were mentioned. In front I have room to plant a fall crop of peas.

{{gwi:53917}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

same area today

{{gwi:53918}}