Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhubarb with short stalks

Posted by vignewood z6 CT (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 14:00

I planted rhubarb last spring and it came back with beautiful green leaves this spring but the stalks are only about two inches long. What in the world is wrong with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhubarb with short stalks

I would expect the plants to be smaller and shorter for a couple years. In your case I would feed, water, and mulch it well.

o

It needs to be fed and fed well. And if it develops any bloom stalks this year be sure to cut them off ASAP.

Dave

o

Maybe it just needs a little more time for the stalks to get some length? I planted my first rhubarb plant last Spring too. It was a first year plant in a gallon pot. I found a nice sunny spot for it on a slight slope. It got so huge I probably could have harvested some stalks, but I controlled myself, lol. This spring I scratched some 10-10-10 granules into the soil as soon as the leaves were showing. When the stalks were about 8" tall the plant put out 4 flower stalks within a few days that I removed. I've read that the variety that I purchased is more prone to flowering(Victoria)so I'm keeping an eye on it. I have taken a few stalks to use, and I may take a few more in a week or two, then let it be for the season. I recently gave it a shot of the blue stuff(1 TBS in a gallon of water)and mulched it with some leftover shredded cypress from last year. I'm really happy that my first 'barb is doing so well...I don't even have to protect it from the deer, but the Japanese beetles love the leaves.
Hope all goes well with yours...keep us posted.

o

• Posted by feijoas Temperate New Zealan (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 12 at 6:39

Rhubarb is greedy. As in starving. It's also really, really thirsty, all the time.
It's one of the few plants I know that really appreciates being fed a big pile of fresh horse manure, a load of seaweed, a sack of coffee grounds, a pile of grass clippings and lakes, rivers and oceans of water.
Ok, I'm exaggerating, but not a lot!

o

I am in rhubarb envy. Would love to try it but it's too hot here. A caution to rhubarb lovers. Both my son and I got GOUT years ago in NJ from eating a whole lot from our plot there. Lordy, that is so painful.

o

rosiew, When you harvested the stalks, did you cut them off 2 inches below the leaves? The leaf area is high in oxalic acid. For gout, eat 15 cherries a day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here